Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEN NEVIS DISTILLERY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
talisker25 wrote:
Johnny wrote:
Johnny wrote:
Their 10 year old whisky is lovely but they wouldn't stay open to let me visit or make any concession to the fact i couldn't stay to see it the next day. I ended up paying for a taxi early in the morning and getting some sneak shots at 7.30am. I was sent a bottle of whisky years ago by the distillery manager for a letter I wrote in the Whisky Magazine that won the glasses, he said I'd need something to go in the glasses! The stuff they used to send was wonderful but actually at the distillery itself it lets itself down. Sad

The above post I think is the most scorn i poured over the distillery and as you can see I was still very gracious to the PR team and to Colin Ross (hope that's the managers name), plus above I only said visit not do a tour, 5 mins will do us distillery baggers Laughing The let down wasn't the tour or lack of it in my case but the distillery on most pictures seems nestled away in idillic countryside but it was a bit more of a suburb distillery but so was Tullibardine if not more so and they were absolutely lovely in all respects. I don't expect any favouritism but good PR relations is usually earned by going sometimes that little bit further and when I was sent the whisky that was good PR and a very lovely gesture that I much appreciated, especially as it's one of my favourite whiskies. :D

i think really that this conversation could go on for ever if we let it, i agree that good PR is paramount at all times, it is a distillery out of the way unless you are staying around fort william and if someone has travelled and asked for just a few minuets to have a look, that when good PR works, when i complained (and yes colin ross is the manager) he could not have been more apologetic ane helpfull but a distillery visit is only as good as the member of staff that is on hand at the time and if they can't be bothered well im sorry, thats how i would have to view the distillery at that time as one that cant be bothered, i think that ben nevis have some serious work to do on PR but with a manager that obviously cares, im sure that given time things will be put right, and as a matter of interest i have been at edradour distillery after closing time and i was not asked to leave or put under pressure to leave even though only 2 or 3 people were left in the shop.......good PR Question i think so

I think I was the other person who was let down by the distillery but again you can only judge it on the day you visited and on who took the tour. Johnny was there, he rang them and so they knew he was keen as only a whisky nut would bother even trying at that time Laughing he even paid for a taxi in the early hours so he could say he'd been there!! Shocked I don't see how he can be blamed for giving any sort of bad press to the place it's Talisker and I that were the ones who paid to get in and were disappointed.

I think as Talisker the post has gone in circles and I hope we are allowed on the forum to post without feeling that we need to be worried about liable Laughing I only said it was a drab experience and as Johnny that the pictures of the distillery and the actual view you first get are not the same, very much like Eilean Donan Castle which turns out to be beside a dual carriageway!!

thanks judith
as for eilean donan castle, it is really a 20th cetury reproduction on the inside and is quite disapointing,Crying or Very sad shop and cafe are good though Smile

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
whiskyjac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" - 5 mins will do most us distillery baggers" this type of comment is not really the image which surely you want to project of yourself, suggesting that one is only intested in notches on the belt as opposed to spending time seeing, feeling and understanding what constitutes the individual nuances which make each and every distillery in Scotland absolutely unique. i would venture to suggest "distillery bagging" is a type of post modern tourism which does little for the distilleries concerned or the "bagger" himself. What is the next progression from this - judgement by internet?
As to location of distilleriies , most are old and urban or suburban conurbationswill have encroached over periods of time surely this will not detract from the finished product . Does Oban have inferior products compared to its more rural cousin Dalwhinnie just because it is surrounded by restaurants ,shops and offices? I dont think so personally.
As far as i am aware Ben Nevis although is situated next to a main road (A*82) I a,m quite sure this would nt have been there when the distillery was founded. behind this little distillery ther is an unspoilt moor streching uninterupted to the base of The Ben itself ". Some of the warehouses there are situated in field of what must be 10 - 12 acres - hardly suburban. If pictures suggest otherwise surely bevery photograph taken is done to enhance best possible features of subject.
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskyjac wrote:
" - 5 mins will do most us distillery baggers" this type of comment is not really the image which surely you want to project of yourself, suggesting that one is only intested in notches on the belt as opposed to spending time seeing, feeling and understanding what constitutes the individual nuances which make each and every distillery in Scotland absolutely unique. i would venture to suggest "distillery bagging" is a type of post modern tourism which does little for the distilleries concerned or the "bagger" himself. What is the next progression from this - judgement by internet?
As to location of distilleriies , most are old and urban or suburban conurbationswill have encroached over periods of time surely this will not detract from the finished product . Does Oban have inferior products compared to its more rural cousin Dalwhinnie just because it is surrounded by restaurants ,shops and offices? I dont think so personally.
As far as i am aware Ben Nevis although is situated next to a main road (A*82) I a,m quite sure this would nt have been there when the distillery was founded. behind this little distillery ther is an unspoilt moor streching uninterupted to the base of The Ben itself ". Some of the warehouses there are situated in field of what must be 10 - 12 acres - hardly suburban. If pictures suggest otherwise surely bevery photograph taken is done to enhance best possible features of subject.

i think you will find that everyone on this site who has visited distilleries are not 'distillery baggers' as you put it but are people with a genuine interest in whisky and how each distillery (large or small, urban or rural) goes about making the product, i know i am.
yes you will get 'judgment' by the internet because this is how we are communicating but we are only judging distilleries that we have been to and how we found it 'on that day' we cannot be more honest than that, would you have us be untruthful for the sake of tourism Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskyjac wrote:

5 mins had to do me unfortunately, if I'd been allowed a fuller look I'd stayed all day but I was on a coach holiday and I can't make all the other pasengers stay for my obsession Laughing Distillery baggers was my flipant remark but I'd rather visit than not if in the vincinity especially as Hull to Ben Nevis is a bit of a journey and I may not get to do it again for quite a few more years unfortunately.

On the enhancement of photos I must say I'm against it as it does lead to false impressions and one does feel let down when you see the actual object. More than one time this has happened to me with hotels, e-bay and all manner of things and I do think a more honest approach in photography in general would be appreciated by the general public.

You have not said yet whiskyjac if you have visited and did you enjoy the tour? Also have you seen the review of Blair Athol distillery which also I found disappointing.
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Scotland too and have on many occasions had a go about Glenturret distillery, especially now its got some bloody big bird all over it!! Mad If someone is saying they had a bad time or thought the tour wasn't upto scratch surely people in tourism should listen rather than condemning. I will gladly tell you all the things I hate about Glenturret at the moment but luckily the whisky is still excellent and the people who work there are lovely.

If I did any picture changing though it would be to show the old distillery and not one with FG all over it!! Laughing
Black Beer
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard P. wrote:
I live in Scotland too and have on many occasions had a go about Glenturret distillery, especially now its got some bloody big bird all over it!! Mad If someone is saying they had a bad time or thought the tour wasn't upto scratch surely people in tourism should listen rather than condemning. I will gladly tell you all the things I hate about Glenturret at the moment but luckily the whisky is still excellent and the people who work there are lovely.

If I did any picture changing though it would be to show the old distillery and not one with FG all over it!! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Graham70
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as whiskyjac works in tourism then his views are about that rather than someone who just goes there because they love whisky or the country. However much I love Scotland if I had a bad trip, hotel, tour etc I would definitely complain. Maybe though he thinks the site is a promotion forum for scotland rather than a whisky forum? I would not want to be cross examined though if I had a bad time, I would want to know what they would do to make it better rather than trying to explain it away!!
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham70 wrote:
I think as whiskyjac works in tourism then his views are about that rather than someone who just goes there because they love whisky or the country. However much I love Scotland if I had a bad trip, hotel, tour etc I would definitely complain. Maybe though he thinks the site is a promotion forum for scotland rather than a whisky forum? I would not want to be cross examined though if I had a bad time, I would want to know what they would do to make it better rather than trying to explain it away!!

well said!!

whiskyjac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tourism and whisky are synonymous (daiche) but my area is more in the whisky microcosm than the scotitish tourism industry as a macrocosm. Surely when someone is not happy and feels the need to complain one has to ask the whys and wherefores - or are complaints just accepted ad nauseam without ascertaining the root of the problem in order that it may be rectified.
I am quite sure A.W Ross (M.D.- Ben Nevis Distillery) would be interested to see "enhanced " pictures of his little distillery, perhaps there is a covert operation in place by messrs Jackson, Murray Mc Lean et al only to use enhanced pictures in their publications as none of these show a suburban distillery in any of their Ben Nevis Distillery writings . I pass the distillery on a daily basis and it looks the same in real life as in the literature - only without the incessant rain of recent times!
I have visited Blair Atholl (day before 3 day event ) met a charming young lady who took us round efficiently and who made every word count never using two when one sufficed. Everything a visitor would want to know was incliuded in her commentary and she had more than enough depth of knowledge to answer more penetrating questions - those she couldnt answer she was honest enough to admit to and offered to obtain the information from one of the production crew. Of course Bell's was mentioned but due to the relationship between Bell's and Blair Atholl - how could it not have been.
As said earlier this is now turning into a circular debate so lets draw it to a close and hope if someone is to visit any distillery check on its opening times (especially at this time of year) and if not convenient phone or write to make alternate arrangements but try to give more than 10 mins notice - its only polite after all. If the gifted amateur or even wannabee expert feels a literary bent and wants to review, please, make it accurate and objective (check out mystery visitor Whisky Magazine - he has earned tremendous respect in the industry for his reviews both good and bad .
whiskylek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Distillery tour Reply with quote

Having read with great interest the to and froing of Ben Nevis Distillery I thought as I live here I might as well "Do the Tour"!

Off I set at 10.00am in time for the first tour of the day! Quite an impressive entrance with a "small loch" to greet me. Surprised

I was met by a friendly tour guide who told me that the tour was just getting underway, if I wanted to join. Money taken and then I went into a small anteroom to view a "tongue in cheek" look at how whisky was discovered,beautiful scenery and the rest of the group seemed to thoroughly enjoy this. I will admit that 10 minutes was long enough!

My tour guide introduced himself as John, and off we set. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour which was filled with knowledge and wit, and left me feeling that I had gained a further knowledge of whisky distilling. The tour lasted 25 mins which I must admit was long enough as being outside
to get from one place of interest to another was FREEZING! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Back to the warmth of the Visitor Centre and a small dram of their Special Blend which definetly warmed me! Our guide was just about to finish the tour when another tour guide,English believe it or not! returned with his tour and proceeded to take over with such an obnoxious attitude I felt quite sorry for John!

He talked about other whisky distillers and how good Ben Nevis was compared to them! (Bell's will love that)

I left him to patronise the others and tried to get a mug of coffee, forget that idea, the girl was too busy talking to her friend than serve me! Crying or Very sad

I left with the distinct impression that it is a few who spoil the working Ben Nevis Visitor Centre, and I would recommend to anyone that when they go for a tour make sure that you ask for a scottish speaking guide and that you take a flask of coffee!

I will return to the Shop with my voucher and purchase a bottle of their Blended at Birth 40 Y. O. I can taste it already Surprised Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: