Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEN NEVIS DISTILLERY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distillery tour Reply with quote

whiskylek wrote:
Having read with great interest the to and froing of Ben Nevis Distillery I thought as I live here I might as well "Do the Tour"!

Off I set at 10.00am in time for the first tour of the day! Quite an impressive entrance with a "small loch" to greet me. Surprised

I was met by a friendly tour guide who told me that the tour was just getting underway, if I wanted to join. Money taken and then I went into a small anteroom to view a "tongue in cheek" look at how whisky was discovered,beautiful scenery and the rest of the group seemed to thoroughly enjoy this. I will admit that 10 minutes was long enough!

My tour guide introduced himself as John, and off we set. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour which was filled with knowledge and wit, and left me feeling that I had gained a further knowledge of whisky distilling. The tour lasted 25 mins which I must admit was long enough as being outside
to get from one place of interest to another was FREEZING! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Back to the warmth of the Visitor Centre and a small dram of their Special Blend which definetly warmed me! Our guide was just about to finish the tour when another tour guide,English believe it or not! returned with his tour and proceeded to take over with such an obnoxious attitude I felt quite sorry for John!

He talked about other whisky distillers and how good Ben Nevis was compared to them! (Bell's will love that)

I left him to patronise the others and tried to get a mug of coffee, forget that idea, the girl was too busy talking to her friend than serve me! Crying or Very sad

I left with the distinct impression that it is a few who spoil the working Ben Nevis Visitor Centre, and I would recommend to anyone that when they go for a tour make sure that you ask for a scottish speaking guide and that you take a flask of coffee!

I will return to the Shop with my voucher and purchase a bottle of their Blended at Birth 40 Y. O. I can taste it already Surprised Surprised

dear dear, now you've done it Exclamation Exclamation

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distillery tour Reply with quote

whiskylek wrote:
Having read with great interest the to and froing of Ben Nevis Distillery I thought as I live here I might as well "Do the Tour"!

Off I set at 10.00am in time for the first tour of the day! Quite an impressive entrance with a "small loch" to greet me. Surprised

I was met by a friendly tour guide who told me that the tour was just getting underway, if I wanted to join. Money taken and then I went into a small anteroom to view a "tongue in cheek" look at how whisky was discovered,beautiful scenery and the rest of the group seemed to thoroughly enjoy this. I will admit that 10 minutes was long enough!

My tour guide introduced himself as John, and off we set. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour which was filled with knowledge and wit, and left me feeling that I had gained a further knowledge of whisky distilling. The tour lasted 25 mins which I must admit was long enough as being outside
to get from one place of interest to another was FREEZING! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Back to the warmth of the Visitor Centre and a small dram of their Special Blend which definetly warmed me! Our guide was just about to finish the tour when another tour guide,English believe it or not! returned with his tour and proceeded to take over with such an obnoxious attitude I felt quite sorry for John!

He talked about other whisky distillers and how good Ben Nevis was compared to them! (Bell's will love that)

I left him to patronise the others and tried to get a mug of coffee, forget that idea, the girl was too busy talking to her friend than serve me! Crying or Very sad

I left with the distinct impression that it is a few who spoil the working Ben Nevis Visitor Centre, and I would recommend to anyone that when they go for a tour make sure that you ask for a scottish speaking guide and that you take a flask of coffee!

I will return to the Shop with my voucher and purchase a bottle of their Blended at Birth 40 Y. O. I can taste it already Surprised Surprised

Good review, nice to have you on the forum :D
Black Beer
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskyjac wrote:
tourism and whisky are synonymous (daiche) but my area is more in the whisky microcosm than the scotitish tourism industry as a macrocosm. Surely when someone is not happy and feels the need to complain one has to ask the whys and wherefores - or are complaints just accepted ad nauseam without ascertaining the root of the problem in order that it may be rectified.
I am quite sure A.W Ross (M.D.- Ben Nevis Distillery) would be interested to see "enhanced " pictures of his little distillery, perhaps there is a covert operation in place by messrs Jackson, Murray Mc Lean et al only to use enhanced pictures in their publications as none of these show a suburban distillery in any of their Ben Nevis Distillery writings . I pass the distillery on a daily basis and it looks the same in real life as in the literature - only without the incessant rain of recent times!
I have visited Blair Atholl (day before 3 day event ) met a charming young lady who took us round efficiently and who made every word count never using two when one sufficed. Everything a visitor would want to know was incliuded in her commentary and she had more than enough depth of knowledge to answer more penetrating questions - those she couldnt answer she was honest enough to admit to and offered to obtain the information from one of the production crew. Of course Bell's was mentioned but due to the relationship between Bell's and Blair Atholl - how could it not have been.
As said earlier this is now turning into a circular debate so lets draw it to a close and hope if someone is to visit any distillery check on its opening times (especially at this time of year) and if not convenient phone or write to make alternate arrangements but try to give more than 10 mins notice - its only polite after all. If the gifted amateur or even wannabee expert feels a literary bent and wants to review, please, make it accurate and objective (check out mystery visitor Whisky Magazine - he has earned tremendous respect in the industry for his reviews both good and bad .

Great review :D Should the coffee be laced with anything? Laughing
Wave
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the cheesy presentation movie, the Ben Nevis distillery tour wasn't all that bad, I've been to worse as Clynelish & Tobermory come to mind. Confused
I wish I would have bought a botttle of Ben Nevis since it's almost impossible to get here over the big pond, at the time though I was already carrying (via backpack)
several bottles from earlier other distillery visits. Can't carry them all. Sad

talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave wrote:
Aside from the cheesy presentation movie, the Ben Nevis distillery tour wasn't all that bad, I've been to worse as Clynelish & Tobermory come to mind. Confused
I wish I would have bought a botttle of Ben Nevis since it's almost impossible to get here over the big pond, at the time though I was already carrying (via backpack)
several bottles from earlier other distillery visits. Can't carry them all. Sad

tobermory was a dreadful tour, not everyone on the forum has had a bad experience at ben nevis, i have but the PR afterwards was excellent and i will go again sometime.
if you are after a bottle of ben nevis i am sure it could be arranged Rolling Eyes trouble is the postage cost to the US and what could hapen at customs :D

great pic of the distillery Cool

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try LFW they post worldwide www.lfw.co.uk

UNITED STATES & CANADA

It was not our intention to conduct an overseas business but there has been a tremendous demand that we cannot ignore. For the moment we must pass on all responsibility to you, the customer.

We regret that we are not in any position to guarantee the safe delivery of whisky/alcohol/ spirits or glass to any country outside the European Union, (EU/EC). Deliveries within the EU and Japan have been trouble free for eleven years.

We can send bottles overseas but only on the understanding that we do so entirely at the risk of the customer. All despatches are through the Royal Mail (Parcel Force). We retain a proof of posting so that we can show that goods were posted and to which address. Where a credit card is used for payment this is not charged until the goods are despatched. We will require further proof of card ownership an email will follow your placing of your first order, please watch out for this.

Where necessary a Customs declaration is filled in stating that the goods are "Collector's Malt - No commercial value", and declaring the replacement value. Be sure to inspect the condition of the parcel before signing receipt, record any findings on the delivery note.

Damage
If there is damage, you must get a Post Office official to authenticate the damage and advise us as soon as possible. We will replace bottles damaged as a result of inadequate packaging with your next order, but we must be satisfied that poor packaging is the cause of the damage. Do not refuse or return parcels to us as we will be charged for their return.

Customs
CANADA. About half our shipments are intercepted by Canadain customs, you are given the option of returning the parcel to us or another UK address or having the parcel destroyed, It seem they will not give you the option to simply pay duty. Single bottles have the best chance of getting through.

USA. It is your responsibility to check with your own excise officials what is required. If there are any special instructions to us please ensure they are absolutely clear. A telephone to your local excise advice centre should clarify matters.

For single bottles there is a free passage of spirits, they ignore small packages as described above, very occasionally they will require duty payment. Texas will destroy the goods immediately. *United States customers take note. Our best advice is NOT to ship to the US, however we do it several times every day!.

Despatches beyond the European Union are zero rated for VAT (currently 17.5%) and this is deducted from the price of the goods. Postage, books and foodstuffs are already zero rated for VAT.

Sales beyond the European Union must not be for subsequent re-sale. Breach of this condition is liable to your prosecution and compensation being sought by the producer and/or your local distributor. Further specific details about this are available on request.

Telephone orders cannot be accepted.

Cheques will be cleared before processing; once cleared orders are processed with all possible speed. New customers will be required to give further verification of their credit card details.

All mail order prices are subject to possible change without notice.

This is our stock list of items held in stock but bottlings come and go and all goods are offered subject to availability.

Minor substitutions may be made with regard to distillation, year or %alc; please phone to confirm specific product information.

VAT at 17.5% included in all prices where applicable.
E & O E, Errors and Omissions Excepted.

Postage, Packing and Insurance Rates
Small quantities are sent as ‘Small Air Packets’ (Air Mail) which has a weight limit of 2kg - the equivalent of one bottle + lightweight outer.

For bigger quantities, ParcelForce 'International Scheduled’ is a speedy yet relatively economic service, a signature is required on delivery.

Other Conditions of Carriage are as per our nominated carriers, in particular liability for loss is limited to £150.00 per parcel.

Small Air Packet USA
see notes
1 Bottle £ 17.00
2 Bottles (sent separately) £ 34.00
3 Bottles (sent separately)
£51.00
Parcel Force Standard Delivery
Delivery time 5 days
3 Bottles (as one parcel) £ 46.90
4 Bottles £ 55.00
5 Bottles £ 60.80
6 Bottles £ 66.50
Additional bottles add * £ 5.00 per bottle

* Estimated cost, Credit card charges for more than
six bottles are made at the real cost.

Usually light cartons, tubes and boxes are included. Heavy outers (e.g. Cask Signatory (S*), Macallan 25yo, most wooden boxes) etc....; are subject to a surcharge of £5.00 per bottle or specify "not wanted". Exceptional presentations are charged at cost.

MINIATURES

CHARGES FOR MINIATURES, 20cl and HARDWARE ITEMS
CAN BE FOUND HERE
Wave
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've thought about having a bottle (or two) shipped from Loch Fyne's before though it's always been the godawful shipping charges that has kept me from doing it. Sad
I'll just have to wait until I'm in Scotland next summer. Smile

Thankfully I live in a state that doesn't have totaltarian laws concerning the shipments of spirits.
Last year I flew home with 12+ (+ is 6x20cl bottles) bottles of scotch in my bags and paid a grand total $0 duty. Smile
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave wrote:
Actually I've thought about having a bottle (or two) shipped from Loch Fyne's before though it's always been the godawful shipping charges that has kept me from doing it. Sad
I'll just have to wait until I'm in Scotland next summer. Smile

Thankfully I live in a state that doesn't have totaltarian laws concerning the shipments of spirits.
Last year I flew home with 12+ (+ is 6x20cl bottles) bottles of scotch in my bags and paid a grand total $0 duty. Smile

That's excellent, good job your not into Cuban cigars as well! Shocked
Wave
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's excellent, good job your not into Cuban cigars as well!

Naw, tried a couple of Cuban cigars in Sydney last month, wasn't impressed.
I'll stick with my Dannemann Sumatra's.
dave
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave wrote:
Quote:
That's excellent, good job your not into Cuban cigars as well!

Naw, tried a couple of Cuban cigars in Sydney last month, wasn't impressed.
I'll stick with my Dannemann Sumatra's.

I've enjoyed some of those Dannemans myself, not a bad little cigar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: