Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd Dec Durham SMWS Tasting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: 2nd Dec Durham SMWS Tasting Reply with quote

Bit of a change for us , we decided to head "south" and do the Durham Christmas tasting .We decided to overnight in the city to save having to get back home via public transport . Set in the lovely surroundings of Durham Castle (owned by the University and part of the "World heritage site" i believe), it was another night of fun and drams .
We were supposed to get all 5 together but the courier company had kindly misplaced some of the tasting glasses and some of the stock ( we sensed a christmas party going on at some carriers office......) so we ended up with a flight of 3 then 2 .

Number one was a Glenkinchie (22.17 , 17yo , 58% , 245 bottles , £46) , a nice lowlander , pale bronze in colour , sweet and grassy on the nose it tasted very sweet and minty on the palate . It had a lovely cool and clean finish .

Glen Ord was Number two (Highland North ,77.8 , 17yo , 58.1% , 281 bottles , £47) , a pale gold it had a fascinating nose of Vanilla and Apple stroudal and an amazing peppery taste . It's finish was long with a nice bite .

The 3rd one was a Dailuaine (41.31 , 18yo , 58.6% , 258 bottles , £46) , a not very interesting Speysider , a bright Gold it's nose seemed very floral . As for it's taste it took ages to decypher but came came across very musty in the end . It had a long and sweet finish .

We had a break after the first 3 , during which we were served a wonderful buffet .

For Number four we headed to the most northernly operating distillery in Scotland , Highland Park (4.102 , 17yo , 51.3% , 260 bottles , £48 ) .Gold in colour , it's nose was of burning heather and pineapple (the heather burning not the pineapple !) . it had slight smoke on the nose with a long liquorice / smoky finish , not the best HP i've had .

Last but not least the Islay was a Laphroaig (29.38 , 12yo , 54.2 , 237 bottles , £44) , what can i say ..... a pretty standard SMWS Laphroaig but still head and shoulders above the O.B. . A bright Gold colour , bags of peat and iodine (seaweed) on the nose , very medicinal and peaty on the palate . A long and peaty Finish .

The worst ? The Dailuaine , the taste totally killed it .
The best ? The Glen Ord , wonderful .

Catherine was hosting this one along with Georgie from the Vaults , which was the first time i'd seen Georgie working outside the confines of the Vaults and it turns out the last ! She leaves the SMWS at the end of the month to start a new job early next year as the manageress of the Dufftown Whisky shop . We'll miss her at the main place but i'm sure she'll go down a storm in Speyside , perhaps this lovely Islay lass will be able to teach them something about decent whisky ......LOL! Best of luck pet !

Slainté
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Alister
Superior Blend
Superior Blend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mouth is watering and my liver hurting just reading that great tasting Laughing

http://www.camra.org.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: