Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whisky books, best and worst

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: whisky books, best and worst Reply with quote

which are the best and which are the worst, i know this is a personal choice question but......... Question Question

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefinitelyMichael Jackson. It mentions more distilleries than any other book and he lists the OB, sister distillery names and Independent Bottlings which is excellent in tracking down rare or unusual bottlings.

Malt Whisky Companion 5th Edition

Michael Jackson

I don't think I've had bad whisky books as such but books that are just brief glimpses of the whisky world, coffee table books etc that don't list all the distilleries and are therefore a bit frustrating when looking up a new bottle. These books though are not written as complete reviews and the only other one that i found unpalatable was Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. He has the macho atttitude of no water in my whisky or anyone elses, a personal choice and one which many in the whisky industry have been trying to get people away from. He makes arguments for whiskies like Glenfiddich that the old non-aged is better than the new 12 year, even though this is a personal choice; the 12 year is obviously better to most people, he only likes the old one because its rough!! Were Michael Jackson makes reviews that I disagree with I still see were his opinion is coming from, but Jim Murray sometimes is just the kid in the classroom who goes for the strongest deadliest thing to show off. It doesn't add anything new but subtracts from my pleasure and I find my disagreeing more than I agreed with his whisky tasting notes - again personal but I'd rather get MJ's book and have a lot more in common while tasting a new whisky and reading someone elses review.
Mad Dog
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above Very Happy MJ is a really good quick refernce that deals mainly in facts and brings life to his descriptions of the distilleries and their whiskies.
Erik the Viking
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ again, i hope he's sending us free books for all this good publicity Laughing

The little book of cigars was useless, they couldn't even afford copyright for photos of labaels so they got some 4 year old to paint them!! Sad
WhiskyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I would have to recommend the following 3 books;
Michael Jacksons whisky companion, currently on the 5th edition (£16) Concerned with tastes and current bottlings.

and Walter Schobert's whisky treasury (£1Cool A bible for whisky buffs, very factual.

Alfred Barnard book (various version availible) Concerned with the history of distilling and distilleries in the UK from the 1800's

All can be found at Waterstone's and Borders Smile

Laura
Robert Graham Ltd
http://www.whisky-cigars.co.uk
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WhiskyGirl,

Nice to see a new face from my part of the world. You'll have to give us an introduction on the new members post so we can all say hello :D
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Michael Jackson is number one because he really has written a definitive series of books. It's one we use when trying whiskies and our local drinks shop owner has one behind the counter that he refers too :D
Mad Dog
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
I think Michael Jackson is number one because he really has written a definitive series of books. It's one we use when trying whiskies and our local drinks shop owner has one behind the counter that he refers too :D

Laughing The chap in our drinks department does as well Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: