Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The famous Grouse Experience (Glenturret in old money)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: The famous Grouse Experience (Glenturret in old money) Reply with quote

This visit was free, normally £7.50 and give it its due it was top class, first a tour of the distillery, not in production on the day but still good (not allowed to take pics, health and safety. Then a nosing and taste of the bog standard blend (not for me or Mrs T, and then a short video. Onto the interactive bit, everything is projected onto the floor and you can move around and your movement does things to the image, for intance, walking in ice, as you walk i crack where you put your feet.
very hi tech, fast and all razamataz, the guide though, i thought talked a good talk but avoided question and why a vatted malt and not a range of single malts.

after all, whisky is not razamataz, the barley takes 5 months to grow, it has to be chitted, yes i said chitted and malted mashed and brewed, thats another monthe before distilling and then at least 10 more years so whisky is not hi tech.

we also have a taste of the 10 you vatted stuff, its ok but has no charachacter, even drumguish has character, you know where it comes from.
Although their are some good malts in the FG, Macallan, Highland Park, Glen Rothes, Tamdu and Glenturret, its still not a single malt.
a geat day out for the kids and they will enjoy the hopping around but not for me although i will go againg in the future cos its free Beer Beer

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just one of those distilleries you have to visit when in Scotland, like a comfy pair pf slippers that have seen better days Beer
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: A touch of nostalgia Reply with quote

How many people remember this.
this photo was taken about 10 years ago at the distillery and the barrels went it the changes to the famous grouse experience to be replaced by the statue of towser, oh happy days

Rolling Eyes Shocked

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A touch of nostalgia Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
How many people remember this.
this photo was taken about 10 years ago at the distillery and the barrels went it the changes to the famous grouse experience to be replaced by the statue of towser, oh happy days

Rolling Eyes Shocked

Very nice Very Happy
Whisky and Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
It's just one of those distilleries you have to visit when in Scotland, like a comfy pair pf slippers that have seen better days Beer

I think what has happened at Glenturret is a real shame. It's a bit like the Disney world of whisky to me. Far and away too much emphasis on Grouse. It seems the marketing department had a big say in it's conception.

The kids may enjoy it though.
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky and Beer wrote:
Johnny wrote:

I think what has happened at Glenturret is a real shame. It's a bit like the Disney world of whisky to me. Far and away too much emphasis on Grouse. It seems the marketing department had a big say in it's conception.

The kids may enjoy it though.

Not mine and she's only 8 months but I'm bringing her up to respect her national treasures Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: