Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bowmore 17 year old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Bowmore 17 year old Reply with quote

Had a glass of the Bowmore 17 year old and it was quite good for Bowmore. Never been a great fan of Bowmore as always a little less in flavour than the other Islay distilleries but the 17 year old definitely had a lot more to offer than others I have tried.

7/10
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bowmore 17 year old Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Had a glass of the Bowmore 17 year old and it was quite good for Bowmore. Never been a great fan of Bowmore as always a little less in flavour than the other Islay distilleries but the 17 year old definitely had a lot more to offer than others I have tried.

7/10

Like you i am not a lover of Bowmore although if it is offered i would drink it but it would not be on my shopping list, each to his own though Very Happy

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bowmore 17 year old Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
Johnny wrote:

7/10

Like you i am not a lover of Bowmore although if it is offered i would drink it but it would not be on my shopping list, each to his own though Very Happy

Bowmores seem a little like a watered down version of other Islay whiskies, sorry Bowmore lovers, only my opinion Confused
Wave
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bowmore 17 year old Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
talisker25 wrote:
Johnny wrote:

7/10

Bowmores seem a little like a watered down version of other Islay whiskies, sorry Bowmore lovers, only my opinion Confused

I've had several good Bowmore's including the 17yr old, but in general I'm not a big fan of Bowmore either. It to me doesn't taste watered down, it's just a bit harsher (hotter?) than the other Islays.
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bowmore 17 year old Reply with quote

Wave wrote:
Johnny wrote:
talisker25 wrote:
Johnny wrote:

7/10

I've had several good Bowmore's including the 17yr old, but in general I'm not a big fan of Bowmore either. It to me doesn't taste watered down, it's just a bit harsher (hotter?) than the other Islays.

There is something that is just a little bit off whether one things hotter, weaker etc, but it just doesn't seem to have the same omph factor.
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 or 7 years ago Bowmore was my favourite Islay , i loved the original 10yo , the Mariner (15yo) , 21yo and 25yo were superb . They took the 10yo off the market added all them damn finishes , stayed with the lower ABV / chill filtering / colouring and went all to pot ! They also seemed to go more floral (not the FWP that has been reported elsewhere ) . The 17yo was never a favourite of mine (same with the 12yo ) but last year at the Feis Ile i had some cask samples that put my faith back in Bowmore even though the Marketing guy there couldn't get it into his head that we want NCF and no Colouring in our whisky now (we had a bit of a ding-dong with him.... ) !
They reckon some of the older expressions are stunners (particularly the I.B.'s ) , i was prrivilaged to try a 1964 Bourbon casked Bowmore at a previous Feis Ile tasting and it was pretty spectacular!

Slainté
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the names rather than giving us ages is another thing that has put me off slightly, someone got me a Bowmore Surf which I haven't tried yet a few years ago. Anyone know how old it will be? One website says 8 years, another says 12 years another says:
Quote:
In fact, the Bowmore surf is just a remake of the "Legend".
Keep to ages marketing guys Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: