Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Idiots Latern Reply with quote

Old Faithful wrote:
Thought this was an "ok" episode this week. The production value looked spot on, but thought the story was very run of the mill. Sad

Don't know why it needed the social comentry on family values circa 1950, as well as it was done? After all this is Dr Who not Eastenders!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Also thought that "The Wire" was a very 1 dimensional character, after a promising start - though I liked the premise, but thought the Magpie character was played well! Very Happy

Once again, though, the Dr said he was the highest authority in the universe - which doesn't sit well with me. Part of the charm of the "old" Dr Who, was that he was an intelligent, meddling alien, who took on these "superior" monsters/aliens/god like being, & beat them!! If you have a charater who is essentially "the highest power in the universe" where is the drama/suspense/fun, of him solving a problem or beating an enemy?? My one critisism of this new Dr Who is that he appears infalable/all powerfull. We need to see episodes where he doesn't always win (like say Genesis of the Daleks), or that the best he can get is a draw. That's why I think it's essential that the new series has a character like the Master in it. Without a foil the series is gonna get boring pretty quick.
Sad Sad

But enough of my doom mongering! Embarassed Laughing Laughing

Hopefully next week will be back to the usualy standard Smile Very Happy

I thought it loked good as well but something was slightly missing, the Wire just didn't seem that scary. The 2 part story lines work the best though as I liked the cliff hanger endings which are missing from these one off pieces.
Old Faithful
Aged Maltster
Aged Maltster

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Idiots Latern Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:

I thought it loked good as well but something was slightly missing, the Wire just didn't seem that scary. The 2 part story lines work the best though as I liked the cliff hanger endings which are missing from these one off pieces.

Yeah, I know what you mean!! Very Happy Very Happy I used to enjoy the cliff hanger endings too - the cornier the better!! Laughing Laughing

Next week is another 2 parter so we will get one then! Very Happy Very Happy
Old Faithful
Aged Maltster
Aged Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: The Impossible Planet Reply with quote

Wow! Great episode!!

Loved the sci-fi look of this one, & genuinely scarry too!! Anxious Anxious

Can't wait for next week! - The Satan Pit!! - back behind the sofa for me!! pale Anxious Anxious Anxious Anxious
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent episode Beer
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better the devil you know eh!!, anyway i have gone right of noodles Laughing Laughing

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Old Faithful
Aged Maltster
Aged Maltster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: The Satan Pit Reply with quote

Another great episode, & excellent follow up to The Impossible Planet last week! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I thought the special effects where brilliant - especially for the beast, which looked genuinely scarry, they've certainly set the benchmark for futute episodes!!

I liked the fact that the beast wasn't fully explained either - the air of mystery & the fact that the doctor had found something older & more powerfull than himself was very good & something I think the series should do more of. The only gripe I've got was that the finding of the Tardis was a bit naff, but overall I think this & last weeks episodes have constituted the best of the second series so far!! Beer Beer Beer
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Satan Pit Reply with quote

Old Faithful wrote:
Another great episode, & excellent follow up to The Impossible Planet last week! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I thought the special effects where brilliant - especially for the beast, which looked genuinely scarry, they've certainly set the benchmark for futute episodes!!

I liked the fact that the beast wasn't fully explained either - the air of mystery & the fact that the doctor had found something older & more powerfull than himself was very good & something I think the series should do more of. The only gripe I've got was that the finding of the Tardis was a bit naff, but overall I think this & last weeks episodes have constituted the best of the second series so far!! Beer Beer Beer

Nice to see an off Earth episode that really worked.
Old Faithful
Aged Maltster
Aged Maltster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Love & Monsters Reply with quote

Right! What was that all about then?? Confused Confused Confused

We've gone from the heights of the Satan Pit, last week, to the depths of Love & Monsters this week!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Extreemly poor episode - who care's if this random guy loves some geeky girl!! Who care if his mum died when he was young!! This is Dr Who, not some miserable BBC 4 drama!!
The humor didn't work for me either, it tried to poke subtle humour at Who fandom "al la" Galaxy Quest did to Star Trek, but failed miserably!!

I can see why they made this episode - a need to conserve budget, & a desire of the leading cast to have a break from shooting, but this was a waste of an episode!

I can only hope that next week is better, but from the trailer I'm not hopefull!! Sad Sad
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Love & Monsters Reply with quote

Old Faithful wrote:
Right! What was that all about then?? Confused Confused Confused

We've gone from the heights of the Satan Pit, last week, to the depths of Love & Monsters this week!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Extreemly poor episode - who care's if this random guy loves some geeky girl!! Who care if his mum died when he was young!! This is Dr Who, not some miserable BBC 4 drama!!
The humor didn't work for me either, it tried to poke subtle humour at Who fandom "al la" Galaxy Quest did to Star Trek, but failed miserably!!

I can see why they made this episode - a need to conserve budget, & a desire of the leading cast to have a break from shooting, but this was a waste of an episode!

I can only hope that next week is better, but from the trailer I'm not hopefull!! Sad Sad

I agree, however Peter kay as and alien with a yorkshire accent, priceless Very Happy

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I loved it, thought it was hilirious especially the ELO references and when they start the band Laughing Laughing Loved the Scooby Doo bit at the beginning and Peter Kay was brilliant Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Film All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: