Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Real Ale and Pubs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cider Reply with quote

MIke wrote:
As someone who likes cider I'd like to say except for a couple of exceptional pubs in Hull, mainly Wellington Inn and Whalebone, real cider is mainly Old Rosie. This is a fantastic cider but variation is nice, if we all stuck to John Smiths the real ale micros would die off, so how do the the little cider producers get a chance...and me??

Mike, put a note in your diary - Hull Real Ale & CIDER Festival, 6th - 8th October 2005. We will have 25 Ciders (including perry) from all over the country.

Cheers,

Alan.
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the Edinburgh real ale festival and the amount of Scottish Brewers really was astounding. It's nice to see so much choice again as anyone of a certain age will remember bland keg beers being the only option in a lot of bars or some mistreated real ale that the landlord couldn't be bothered with. Sad to see so many milds and darks not available yearly though, one landlord said to me that most of his regulars that had drank mild were dead and none of the younger drinkers would buy it. Sad
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we have a new member whos shop is down Rose Street, I thought I'd would mention my favourite pub down the street, the Gordon Arms. A real local with plenty of character still and full of characters. CAMRA probably approves as it has a small traditional bar with authentic interior. Definitely try the bar while down there or any of the others:

Rose Street Pubs

From East to West

The Abbotsford
3-5 Rose Street
0131 225 5276
Built originally for Jenners across the street, this early 1900 listed building was designed by Henderson who also did Leslies in Ratcliffe Terrace. Island bar, restaurant food upstairs with good menu including Cullen Skink. Real ales, good selection of whiskies. A beautiful pub architecturally with a real Edinburgh feel and a real fire for the cauld dreek Edinburgh winter nights.

Rhodes & Co Brasserie and Bar
13-15 Rose Street
EH2 2YJ 0131 220 9190
Jenners owned, this up-market bar sports elegant bar stools, French style beer fonts and buckets of champagne. Happy hour from 5-7pm.

Milne's Bar
Milne's Bar
35, Hanover St and 21 Rose Street
EH2 2PJ
0131 225 6738
Once the drinking hole of famous and emerging poets, including one ex teacher Joke Coleman, with photos and documents to prove it. Frequented from the 50's by McDairmid, McCaig and the likes, it boasts a 'Little Kremlin' room. A basement entrance on Hanover Street and continental style open-up front onto Roase Street with seats outside. Very lively at weekends and a range of good beers.

Robertson's 37 Bar
37, Rose St
EH2 2NH
0131 225 6185
Established 1901 and still famous for its long gantry of whiskies.

The Rose Street Brewery
55 Rose St
EH2 2NH
0131 220 1227
Used to be the White Cockade many years ago. Like so many pubs in the area nowadays it has an 'open-out' front that make the bar part of the street and vice versa. However it retains its traditional look and feel. Orginally a pub that brewed its own real ales.

The Auld Hundred 100 Rose Street
EH2 2NH
Fascinating old style pub on two levels with loads of neuks and crannies. Imaginative use of street no. fo its name

Brecks
110-114 Rose St
EH2 3JF
0131 225 3297
Nice central island bar with imaginative bar meals and snacks. Pictures of RL Stevenson (Alan Breck, Kidnapped) and a cosy room off. Lively at weekends but still a good place for a chat. Some cask ale, range of whiskies and wines. Was the Goblet which was one of the 'in' places of the 60's/70's set and where I spent many a happy night when I was young. Its two bars were knocked into one.

The Fling & Firkin
49, Rose St
EH2 2NH
0131 225 6362
Lively corner bar with tables out onto Rose Street. Real ales and usual spirits selection in what used to be Paddy's Bar

Metros/Mr Q's
Billed as a 'Metro Fun Pub' , there is pool, all day food and DJ on Saturdays. Downstairs club feel.

The Kenilworth
152 Rose Street
0131 226 4835
Dating from about 1900 as a pub, but going back further, the Kenilworth has retained and built on its charm over the years. In the 70's was popular as a gay bar. Now a mixture of locals and tourists. Real ales, food all day and family and children room. Worth pausing outside to admire the first floor windows.

Filthy McNasty's
Rose Street
Bills itself as a 'Braw Heilin Howff' which is usually heavin.Big window that opens out onto the street.

The Gordon Arms
135 Rose Street
You'll find regulars in all Rose Street pubs, but the Gordon Arms makes being a local an art. Through all the phases of Rose Street it has managed to stay almost exactly the same with a reputation of a no-nonsense pub. Small traditional bar with authentic interior, cottage-style plate shelf and an imposing gantry.

The Rose and Crown
170, Rose St
EH2 4BA
0131 225 4039
Used to be a favourite of mine before it was modernised but its still a popular wee bar.

Olivers
178a, Rose St
EH2 4BA
0131 220 3933
Tartan seats back on to a window that opens out to the street. A lively pub in a lively part of the street.

Dirty Dick's
159, Rose St
EH2 4LS
0131 225 4610
Imaginative traditional look on the sight of an older bar. Variety of real ales well kept and food served all day. Almost as much a restaurant as a pub with seating out on to Rose Street. Despite its size it has a cosy almost rural feel with dark wood and musical instruments hanging up. Takes its beer and food seriously. Friendly service. Sister pub to Clever Dicks in the Royal Mile.

Scott's

EH2 4AZ
0131 225 7401
Largely unchanged over the years, a traditional corner pub with the bar unusually backing on to the street side. Real ales, range of wines and food served. Was 'Ma Scott's' after the famous Mrs Scott who was one of three not-to-be-messed-with women publicans of the Abbotsford and Old Chain Pier.

Mad Dog
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of nice stuff at Weatherspoons at the moment, including some really nice summer ales. I've had the White Squall from Newby Wyke 4.8% and Elsie Mo 4.7% occasion5
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pint of Druids Droop at lunch time from Hardys & Hansons plc. Very nice, lovely bitter taste at 5%, yum Razz
Mally
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pint of Abbots Ale always a decent pint and a pint of Old Empire which was a very good finish to the evening.
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbot Ale is lovely, i was trying one of the Black Isle beers last night - BLACK ISLE ORGANIC B.C. SCOTCH ALE 4.5% and BLACK ISLE ORGANIC PORTER 4.5% abv both factastic beers Razz

http://www.blackislebrewery.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Real Ale and Pubs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: