Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie requires advice!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Hendrix wrote:
talisker25 wrote:
i see that johnny has recommened glenmorangie, good choice.
glenmorangie rum cask (available at sainsbury's) and has been matured in golden rum casks and has a hint of spice and vanilla.

Woo hoo! I'm off to Sainsburys, I thought this stuff was hard to get hold off Razz

You're not getting mixed up with Glenfiddich rum version:

GLENFIDDICH - Gran Reserva 21yo

Description:
A 21 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky from the Speyside region of the Scottish Highlands.

The taste of this Cuban rum-finished Glenfiddich is full and rich, initially with a toffee sweetness becoming more dry with spice notes and hints of sweet tobacco and leather.

At the Glenfiddich Distillery, casks of Cuban rum were decanted and 21 Year Old Glenfiddich filled into the same casks, to take on the unique character.

Producer: William Grant & Sons Ltd - www.williamgrant.com
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1520

hi johnny, no im not getting mixed up although the gran reservea is very nice indeed, glenmorangie do a rum cask (picture on my site) and for the price it is excellent :D :D

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to another forum about the Glenmorangie rum expression:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1098

Some very interesting posts, looks like Sainsburys did get this exclusively but the feedback from the Whisky Magazine forum seems very favourable.
hull_fox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took a trip to beverley on saturday and wine rack had aberlour for £15.99 so that sealed the deal for me! had a nice pint of landlord in the cornerhouse, then went to tescos and theyve got the glenmorangie with finishes for £24.99. treated myself to a bottle of ukrainian wheat beer instead (very nice). anyway, both me and mrs hullfox were taken by the aberlour, so cheers for the advice!!
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hull_fox wrote:
took a trip to beverley on saturday and wine rack had aberlour for £15.99 so that sealed the deal for me! had a nice pint of landlord in the cornerhouse, then went to tescos and theyve got the glenmorangie with finishes for £24.99. treated myself to a bottle of ukrainian wheat beer instead (very nice). anyway, both me and mrs hullfox were taken by the aberlour, so cheers for the advice!!

Glad you enjoyed, it is a really nice whisky, really smooth, oily and quite subtle dram.

ABERLOUR (Speyside)
10 years 40%
Rich and sweet tasting speyside malt.
Easily drinkable with full flavours.
Nose: Bubblegum, berry fruit, malty.
Body: Malt, mash, green, bananas, peppery dryness, sherry.
Finish: Green, bananas, clean. A lovely Speysider, easily palatable.
7/8
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hull_fox wrote:

just a thought............... should it be mrs hullvixen, (sounds quite sexy that) Laughing Laughing Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mad Dog
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
hull_fox wrote:

just a thought............... should it be mrs hullvixen, (sounds quite sexy that) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Has she joined the forum yet? Wink
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mad Dog"][quote="talisker25"][quote="hull_fox"]took a trip to beverley on saturday and wine rack had aberlour for £15.99 so that sealed the deal for me! had a nice pint of landlord in the cornerhouse, then went to tescos and theyve got the glenmorangie with finishes for £24.99. treated myself to a bottle of ukrainian wheat beer instead (very nice). anyway, both me and mrs hullfox were taken by the aberlour, so cheers for the advice!![/quote]

just a thought............... should it be mrs hullvixen, (sounds quite sexy that) Laughing Laughing Laughing[/quote]

Has she joined the forum yet? Wink[/quote]
CAN'T WAIT Wink

Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Welcome Hull Fox,

I'll list a few whiskies that are not too peaty that would be a good starting point, not sure of prices though.

Aberlour 10 year old
Glenfiddich 12 year old
Aberfeldy 15 year
Bruichladdich
Dalwhinnie 12 year old
Glen Grant 10 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Glen Moray
Glenturret
Knockando
Longmorn 15 year old
Tullibardine 10 year old

Kwik Save use to do McClelland's cheap which is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, which is in turn owned by Suntory of Japan. The three McClelland's bottlings are, in fact, 5-year-old releases of the three Morrison Bowmore distilleries: Lowland (Auchentoshan), Highland (Glen Garioch), and Islay (Bowmore). Keep to the lowland and Highland. Usually about £12.99

Hope that's of some help, i know you've been overseeing us for a while so glad to have you posting.
:D

Any of those whiskies would be a wondeful dram. The Longmorn especially, lovely whisky. The Aberlour that you chose is always nice whisky, with some lovely creamy notes and a nice light flavour that is well balanced.
Guy Black

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard P. wrote:
Johnny wrote:
Welcome Hull Fox,

I'll list a few whiskies that are not too peaty that would be a good starting point, not sure of prices though.

Aberlour 10 year old
Glenfiddich 12 year old
Aberfeldy 15 year
Bruichladdich
Dalwhinnie 12 year old
Glen Grant 10 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Glen Moray
Glenturret
Knockando
Longmorn 15 year old
Tullibardine 10 year old

Kwik Save use to do McClelland's cheap which is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, which is in turn owned by Suntory of Japan. The three McClelland's bottlings are, in fact, 5-year-old releases of the three Morrison Bowmore distilleries: Lowland (Auchentoshan), Highland (Glen Garioch), and Islay (Bowmore). Keep to the lowland and Highland. Usually about £12.99

Hope that's of some help, i know you've been overseeing us for a while so glad to have you posting.
:D

Any of those whiskies would be a wondeful dram. The Longmorn especially, lovely whisky. The Aberlour that you chose is always nice whisky, with some lovely creamy notes and a nice light flavour that is well balanced.

Hello :D As a newbie i'll try some of those myself. Tried the Glenfiddich and Glenlivet but wanted to find out a little more about malt whisky and what I'm actually buying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: