Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9th June Newcastle SMWS tasting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: 9th June Newcastle SMWS tasting Reply with quote

Once again myself and the good woman spent a pleasant evening in the company of the SMWS tasting team at The Vermont Hotel in Newcastle .
First up was a 16yo Highland Park ( 4.105 , Highland Island, 59.9% , outturn 545 Bottles , £46) , A bright bronze from a sherry butt , I got Struck matches , Edinburgh Rock and slight smoke from the nose , whereas Mel picked out Candied Peel . She found it sweet and oily on the palate , I found it quite peaty , sweet and Menthol Cigarettes . It’s finish was long and smoky to me , Mel got liquorice sticks .
Not a bad Highland Park a lot peatier than I can remember previous ones .

Next up was the star of the evening for us , it’s not often you get offered a 40yo malt on a tasting and I bet it’s not often you get one like this . 1.131 (Speyside Spey , 40yo , Glenfarclas , 53.9% , outturn 152 bottles , £138 ) , from a hoggy a polished bronze in colour .we picked up Cola cubes , lots of fruit , super glue and varnish in the nose . The Palate was unbelievable , Hot , peppery , spicy , syrup and citric fruit . the finish was long and peppery . A sublime malt for it’s age , awesome as Mel put it . Someone also wrote I’ll have 2 , buy this for Mel – she really deserves it at the end of my notes ……wonder who ?
The third Dram of the night was another Speysider 41.36 (Spey , 24yo , Dailuaine , 44.8% , outturn 12 bottles ,£62) . 12 bottles ? they don’t know how either…. From a Bourbon hoggy , bronze in colour , the nose was coconut and cherries , cherries in liqueur . the taste to me was dry and leathery , the better half got dry and musty . the finish was medium dry . A very dry whisky to me , not one of the best .

Now it was time to head to Islay for the last 2 drams , first off was a young Ardbeg (33.62 , 7yo , 58% , 865 Outturn , £42 ) , amber from a Gorda cask (600litre Capacity) , it wasn’t the finest example of the distillery .Smoke and burnt rubber on the nose , though not as spirity as some young un’s but still a tad too sherried for my liking , it was very smoky and peaty on the palate . The finish was long and sherried with slight rubber and sulphur . With water and a little while to stand it mellowed out quite a bit .

Last up was a 25yo Caol ila ( 53.98 , 25yo , 60.4% , outturn 271 , £64 ) , Pale gold from a refill hoggy .
The nose was very weak at first compared to previous 25yo Caol ilas but it was very medicinal (germolene) , peppery . It’s taste was very similar , loads of germolene and it had a very long finish .

Possibly one of the strongest line ups I’ve seen at a members tasting , The Farclas was the undoubted star of the night , definitely the best Speysider around , still haven’t had a bad one !
This was Stephens last tasting in Newcastle , he’s heading to pastures new and will be sadly missed at the SMWS members tastings .

Slainte
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tasting notes as always Gordon, I need an aspirin just thinking about trying all those whiskies Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: