Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Vaults visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Another Vaults visit Reply with quote

We had an excellent day and night at the Vaults yesterday , having lunch and trying out a few malts , especially as it was a spur of the moment thing to go and we managed to book a hotel in Leith on the Friday for the Saturday night ( never an easy thing for Edinburgh ) . Most of these are off the early summer list , with a touch of bad timing we found out the next list comes out next Week !

First off with lunch was the first grain bottling by the society G1 ( North British , 16yo , 61.3% ) , I can see why this one flew off the shelves , it’s a stunner , Pale straw in colour , it had a beautiful nose of Vanilla , Cereal and summer meadows . On the palate it was very fresh and clean , again very grassy . It’s finish was long and fruity , pity there was none left as I would have bought a bottle , it was beautifully smooth and went down very well .
The lunch was a good as ever and we went off to book into our hotel knowing we would return at tea time .
First of the evening session went to the Teaninich on the E.S. list (59.35 , 22yo , 55.7% ) , tarnished gold in colour it had a wonderful combination on the nose . Vanilla , (seaside air) saltiness , smoke and loose leaf tobacco . In the palate it was hot and peppery , smoky and slightly peaty . The finish was long and hot . It was a lovely dram , could almost have been an Islay !
I did want to try the 40yo Farclas at this point but it had been drunk into oblivion , so on the recommendation of the bar staff I tried the 18.24 ( Inchgower , 24yo , 54.7% ) , another highly sherried whisky . A lovely polished amber in colour , it was christmas cake with pipe smoke on the nose . It’s taste was the usual dried fruit , peel etc associated with the xmas cake together with tobacco smoke . The finish spoilt it for me , it was long but with a lot of burnt rubber from the sherry cask , altogether a bit too sherried for me .

Next up I wanted to see if they had another Glencraig after the cracking one we’d had on the tasting earlier in the year and they did ! Another 30yo , 104.4 (49.6%) , another stunner , light straw in colour , bags of green fruits (apples, pears ) , vanilla and slight smoke on the nose .
The taste was fairly similar green fruit slight smoke and a touch spiciness , a medium finish but what a fantastic dram .
It was back to the E.S. list for the next dram , a 13yo Bladnoch (50.21 , 59.2% ) , the colour of burnished gold , it had a typical lowland nose mainly of green apples and grass .On the palate it was dry and peppery with a disappointing touch of bitterness and a drop of caramel . The finish was long and fruity , it had a big mouthfeel but did not match up to the recent distillery bottlings .
So it was time to hit the Islays , first stop was Bruichladdich , a 16yo (23.4Cool , a one from the tastings list which they are currently selling off , Gold in colour with bags of green fruit and vanilla on the nose , with water it went very lemony ( the artifical drizzle cake type) . a typical Laddie on the palate vanilla and creamy fudge , green apples and a touch citric .The finish was very short for a bourbon CS Laddie , a very weak dram compared to other Bruichladdichs , very disappointing , too disappointing to bag a bottle…..

The Penultimate dram was another one from the E.S. list , a 12yo Caol ila (53.99 , 61.2% ) , pale straw and a very medicinal (Germolene) nose . Intensely medicinal on the palate with a load of peat , everything you expect from Caol ila ! A very long and peaty finish with lots of iodine . Very reminiscent of one of my old (Young!) favourites the 53.50 , a little bugger that was half it’s age .
Only one way to end the evening , an Ardbeg , 33.50 (10yo) , another old bottling this was the last dram out of it ! No Disappointments from this one , bright straw in colour , bags of iodine and peat on the nose , a sharp blast of peat and smoke on the palate followed by iodine and a hot and peppery taste . The finish was intense peat , hot and fiery . Lovely ……just where can I get a bottle ?

A pretty good trip away all told , specially as I managed to bag a 1977/21yo RM Brora in Baxters shop in the Ocean Terminal ! I did also toy with the 1977 Glenmorangie they had but it was a bit more than I thought it was worth but never mind ….
Slainte
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: