Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whisky With......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Whisky With...... Reply with quote

took advantage of an offer the SMWS had on to do with the up and coming Fringe . You could purchase 4 x 10cl bottles of a selection of malts for Ł40 , here are my notes .... Whisky.....

….with Music 23.53 (Bruichladdich)

Distilled - April 1989 Bottled - May 2006
Age- 17yo ABV –54.5%

Colour – Bright Gold .

Nose – Bags of Lemon Citrus , vanilla , Seashore ozone and a slight creaminess .

Taste – Honey , butterscotch toffee , a lovely freshness , pretty much a perfect Laddie .

Finish – Long and very warming

Over the past few months I’ve tried a few Laddies , the perfect ones seem to be in their Mid to late teens , from either fresh bourbon or a refill hoggy ,this one’s from a refill hoggy , this is pretty damn near perfect !

….with Food 39.58 (Linkwood)

Distilled –Nov 1985 Bottled - May 2006
Age – 20yo ABV – 59.5%

Colour – Bright gold

Nose – at first there is an off note I’ve detected in a few refilled sherry Linkwoods (common trate?) , loads of vanilla , cream and very floral .

Taste – peppery at first , then it seems to do a good impression of a lowlander (Grassy , lemon) , a touch of dry sherry as well .

Finish – Long , warming and a touch cinnamon apples .

Linkwood is not a speysider I would normally go for (too many not too nice ones in the past ) and I’m afraid this hasn’t changed my opinions either though to be truthful it is one of the better ones .

….with Words 7.36 (Longmorn)

Distilled –Feb 1968 Bottled – May 2006
Age – 38yo ABV – 53.5%

Colour – Mahogany

Nose – Raisins , mixed spices , dried fruit , dry sherry …..yes the proverbial Christmas cake in a bottle !

Taste – All of the above and some more

Finish – Long and dry oloroso , extremely spicy .

It’s Dark , it’s dry , it’s a hellishly well balanced dram , I was expecting nothing else after the 36yo we tried at a tasting in September last year , goes down really well . Maybe Linkwood should have a drive down the road to see what these guys are doing……

….with Friends 29.53 (Laphroaig)

Distilled – March 1988 Bottled – May 2006
Age - 18yo ABV – 60.8%

Colour – Ripe Barley .

Nose – Pungent ! Peat , smoke , iodine , the Laphroaig of old !

Taste - Wow ! Twice wow !! Nae triple wow !!! Bags of Iodine , a very sweet peatness , but oh so smooth .

Finish – Long ! and sweet with that lovely iodine lingering on …and on …and on…..

This late teenager puts the distillery 10yo CS to shame , this has got to be the best Froyge I’ve tried for many a year , this takes me back to my early 20’s and the tasting of the 10yo beast ….oh happy days !

Well 3 beauts and 1 not so good , The Laphroaig was an eye opener , the Longmorn a masterpiece and the Bruichladdich a classic ……shame about the Linkwood……..

Slainte
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: