Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Last night Reply with quote

We had an impromptu visit to Edinburgh last night , Well it is the last bank holiday here of the year , managed to get into a hotel (which during The Fringe is pretty good going !), so after a bite to eat we hit the Vaults (where else ?) . Sometimes they have a band on the Sunday night and this was one of them and i'm glad to say the band were excellent . A Scottish folk trio called North Sea Gas and i would recommend everyone to try and catch them , a really good way to spend the night , Great music and superb humour .
Anyway managed to slip a few malts in as well ...
Seeing the new list wasn't out yet (this friday ), i decided on a different strategy for the night , i'd been looking at my list of tried single malts (distilleries and their different expressions , i know i'm sad for keeping a list but hey.....) and thought it was about time to hit some of those that i'd avoided .
So i started off with a Bruichladdich ....LOL! had to have one while looking at the Bar Bible !
So first off was a Royal Brackla (55.16 , 58.4% , Feb 94 - Sept 05 ), Bright Straw in colour , it's nose was Edinburgh Rock and Toffee apples and it tasted very sweet and Nougaty , a pleasant enough dram but not one to have the wallet flying open to .
Then it was a Glenugie (99.8 , 51.4% , 24yo , May 1980) , a delightful dram , Melon on the nose and Slightly peppery with Fruit Cocktail on the palate . The next dram was actually recommended to me by one of the bar staff when i'd went up for the previous one and what a cracking recommendation it turned out to be , An 18yo Lochnagar (103.13 , 55.9% , Nov 1986 ). Fudge and Green fruits (especially Apples) on the nose , very oily mouthfeel and slightly citric on the palate . A lovely long finish as well .
If i had been given this one in a blind tasting i would have said "thats a nice Farclas ...." .Wrong ! It was a 34yo Glen Elgin (85.17 , 45.7% , June 1971 ) , Bright Copper going on Amber in colour , it's nose was full of Cola Cubes and it had a very stong pineapple taste on the tongue and it's finish was long and like Maynards Wine gums .Altogether a fantastic sensation !
Last of the new Drams was a Pittyvaich (90.7 , 59% , 13yo , Mar 1990 ) , this one was so much like a lowlander , Grassy and citric on the nose and palate . A very balanced dram but i then moved onto a couple i'd had before , first off was a printing mistake ! 61.2 it says on the label but it's 61.20 , i'd had this at a Tasting in the Toon and have an un-opened bottle of it so it was nice to be reminded how good it is , last up was an ......Ardbeg , what else !
Not a bad night , Good music and good drams , toss up between the Lochnagar and the Glen Elgin for dram of the night , but what a good way to try Single Malts numbers 89-93 ! Probably not as many as some though ......
Slainte
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Last night Reply with quote

Spirit of Islay wrote:
We had an impromptu visit to Edinburgh last night , Well it is the last bank holiday here of the year , managed to get into a hotel (which during The Fringe is pretty good going !), so after a bite to eat we hit the Vaults (where else ?) . Sometimes they have a band on the Sunday night and this was one of them and i'm glad to say the band were excellent . A Scottish folk trio called North Sea Gas and i would recommend everyone to try and catch them , a really good way to spend the night , Great music and superb humour .
Anyway managed to slip a few malts in as well ...
Seeing the new list wasn't out yet (this friday ), i decided on a different strategy for the night , i'd been looking at my list of tried single malts (distilleries and their different expressions , i know i'm sad for keeping a list but hey.....) and thought it was about time to hit some of those that i'd avoided .
So i started off with a Bruichladdich ....LOL! had to have one while looking at the Bar Bible !
So first off was a Royal Brackla (55.16 , 58.4% , Feb 94 - Sept 05 ), Bright Straw in colour , it's nose was Edinburgh Rock and Toffee apples and it tasted very sweet and Nougaty , a pleasant enough dram but not one to have the wallet flying open to .
Then it was a Glenugie (99.8 , 51.4% , 24yo , May 1980) , a delightful dram , Melon on the nose and Slightly peppery with Fruit Cocktail on the palate . The next dram was actually recommended to me by one of the bar staff when i'd went up for the previous one and what a cracking recommendation it turned out to be , An 18yo Lochnagar (103.13 , 55.9% , Nov 1986 ). Fudge and Green fruits (especially Apples) on the nose , very oily mouthfeel and slightly citric on the palate . A lovely long finish as well .
If i had been given this one in a blind tasting i would have said "thats a nice Farclas ...." .Wrong ! It was a 34yo Glen Elgin (85.17 , 45.7% , June 1971 ) , Bright Copper going on Amber in colour , it's nose was full of Cola Cubes and it had a very stong pineapple taste on the tongue and it's finish was long and like Maynards Wine gums .Altogether a fantastic sensation !
Last of the new Drams was a Pittyvaich (90.7 , 59% , 13yo , Mar 1990 ) , this one was so much like a lowlander , Grassy and citric on the nose and palate . A very balanced dram but i then moved onto a couple i'd had before , first off was a printing mistake ! 61.2 it says on the label but it's 61.20 , i'd had this at a Tasting in the Toon and have an un-opened bottle of it so it was nice to be reminded how good it is , last up was an ......Ardbeg , what else !
Not a bad night , Good music and good drams , toss up between the Lochnagar and the Glen Elgin for dram of the night , but what a good way to try Single Malts numbers 89-93 ! Probably not as many as some though ......
Slainte
Gordon

i am not jealous or envious, i just wish i was you Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: