Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is Politics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: What is Politics? Reply with quote

What Are Politics? http://www.cigarsmokers.com/post10132.html#post10132

A kid goes to his dad and asks, "Dad, what are politics?"
His dad replies, " Put it this way; I am the breadwinner of the family so I am capatilism. Your mom is the owner of the money so she is government. The government is the provider for the people so you are the people. Your baby brother will be the future, and the nanny is the working class. Now think about that."

So he went to bed. He was woken by his brother. The baby had pooped in his daiper. He went to tell his parents, but he only found his mom asleep in the bed. He didn't want to wake her, so he went to the nanny. The door was locked. He checked through a hole and saw the dad in bed with the nanny. He went back to bed. The next morning, he went to his dad and said, "Dad i know what you mean now."

"You do? Tell me."

"OK, while capatilism is screwing the working class, the government is sound asleep, while the people are watching the future being pooped on!!!"
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is Politics? Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:
What Are Politics? http://www.cigarsmokers.com/post10132.html#post10132

A kid goes to his dad and asks, "Dad, what are politics?"
His dad replies, " Put it this way; I am the breadwinner of the family so I am capatilism. Your mom is the owner of the money so she is government. The government is the provider for the people so you are the people. Your baby brother will be the future, and the nanny is the working class. Now think about that."

So he went to bed. He was woken by his brother. The baby had pooped in his daiper. He went to tell his parents, but he only found his mom asleep in the bed. He didn't want to wake her, so he went to the nanny. The door was locked. He checked through a hole and saw the dad in bed with the nanny. He went back to bed. The next morning, he went to his dad and said, "Dad i know what you mean now."

"You do? Tell me."

"OK, while capatilism is screwing the working class, the government is sound asleep, while the people are watching the future being pooped on!!!"

dont care a bout any of that, who buys the drinks :D :D

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gurka
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma." and I believe the same can be said for whisky and any other pleasure were people get together and enjoy a little bit of heaven here on earth. :D

Isn't the whisky from 'Whisky Galore' called SS Politician?
Smoky Sam
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the old Ealing comedy, excellent film.

http://www.thewhiskygalore.com/legend.htm

The famous tale of how a group of Scottish islanders raided a shipwreck for its consignment of 24,000 cases of whisky has grown into a legend.

But the wreck of the ship that became the inspiration for one of Britain's best-loved films was carrying something far more valuable.

Official files released recently by the Public Records Office show that it was not just spirits that disappeared - but a substantial sum of hard cash.

The SS Politician sank off the Scottish Island of Eriskay in 1941 and eight years later the film Whisky Galore recounted the story of how the locals raced to retrive the ship's liquid cargo, hiding the bottles before the excise men could find them.

But as well as whisky, the Politician was carrying eight cases of currency to the West Indies and the United States.

In all, there were nearly 290,000 ten-shilling notes, which would be worth the equivalent of several million pounds at today's prices.

Although the Crown Agents, who were supplying the notes to the colonial administration in Jamaica, were confident they would not get into circulation, for years they kept turning up at banks around the world.

In April 1941 Captain E. Lauriston, who was in charge of the salvage operation noted that there were reports of banknotes from the wreck turning up on Benbecula.

The Crown Agents were not concerned, noting in a memorandum : "the local police service is in no doubt on a very, very small scale but the nature of the place and its surroundings should tend to reduce the chances of serious loss through the notes being presented and paid."

The following month, however, an empty cash case was found abandoned in the hold of the ship. By June of that year the notes, were turning up in bank branches as far away as Liverpool. By mid July, 168 had been tendered in Jamacia and 141 in Britain.

By 1958, the Crown Agents reported that 211,267 notes had been recovered by the salvage company or Scottish police and had been destroyed.

A further 2,329 had been presented in banks in England, Scotland, Ireland, Switzerland, Malta, Canada, the United States and Jamacia, of which only 1,509 were thought to have been presented in good faith. But that still left 76,404 notes which were never accounted for and whose fate remains unknown.

JULY 2003 - FRENCH BID TO REMAKE WHISKY GALORE FILM

The current trend for remakes of classic films is set to continue with plans for a new version of arguably Scotland's finest film, Whisky Galore! The remake of the classic Ealing comedy set in the Western Isles is the brainchild of French-based media giant Canal Plus.
The original, shot on location on Barra in 1948, tells the story of a ship that runs aground off the fictitious island of Todday and the wily islanders' attempts to outwit Customs officers and salvage thousands of cases of whisky.
The film was based on a novel by Compton Mackenzie, which was inspired by the wreck of the SS Politician off Eriskay in 1941.
It is understood "advance discussions" are under way between representatives of Canal Plus and a British production company to remake the film, but no stars have been chosen yet.
Donald Manford, Western Isles councillor for Barra, welcomed the proposal.
He said: "It would be absolutely wonderful to shoot the film on Barra again, both for the economy directly and the impact the movie would have on tourism by advertising the beauty of the island.
"A remake is certainly something I would strongly encourage and we would help the film's makers in any way we can."
Mr Manford, whose grandfather was involved in the real-life drama on Eriskay more than 60 years ago, added: "People around here joke that the only politician that brought us any good is lying at the bottom of the sea. Maybe she will bring us luck again."
The original film had a large cast including the leading Scottish actors of the day such as Gordon Jackson, Duncan Macrae and James Robertson Justice.
Scottish first-time director Sandy Mackendrick and an 80-strong cast and crew sailed for Barra from Oban, and had to contend with the worst summer for 80 years.
The film went over budget and over schedule and was considered a disaster when studio boss Michael Balcon first saw it.
He wanted to cut it down and release it as a supporting film. It was re-edited, but the film still performed poorly on its original release. A sequel, called Rockets Galore!, was also shot on Barra.
Calan Plus inherited the rights to the Ealing comedies and other British films through a series of takeovers, and is keen to exploit remake rights.
Articles Courtesy of The Press and Journal 07.07.03
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> General Chit Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: