Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie requires advice!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hull_fox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: newbie requires advice!! Reply with quote

i've finally reached the age when i feel i should begin to dip a toe into the world of whisky drinking. i'm gonna buy a bottle and my question is - which one? i want something i can get in a supermarket and around £20. i've only ever really drunk bells and the like, so some sage advice would be welcome. i'll let you know how i get on with it. cheers in advance
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Hull Fox,

I'll list a few whiskies that are not too peaty that would be a good starting point, not sure of prices though.

Aberlour 10 year old
Glenfiddich 12 year old
Aberfeldy 15 year
Bruichladdich
Dalwhinnie 12 year old
Glen Grant 10 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Glen Moray
Glenturret
Knockando
Longmorn 15 year old
Tullibardine 10 year old

Kwik Save use to do McClelland's cheap which is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, which is in turn owned by Suntory of Japan. The three McClelland's bottlings are, in fact, 5-year-old releases of the three Morrison Bowmore distilleries: Lowland (Auchentoshan), Highland (Glen Garioch), and Islay (Bowmore). Keep to the lowland and Highland. Usually about £12.99

Hope that's of some help, i know you've been overseeing us for a while so glad to have you posting.
:D
Chris R.
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hull_Fox,

i'm a newbie to whisky as well. So I'll probably use the notes next time i'm in the supermarket, hopefully get to share some reviews. :D
hull_fox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that johnny, i'll see whats about over the weekend. i'm attempting to get one of those cigar samplers you were on about (the vegas santiago ones) but i'm having a nightmare with paypal. i set an account up ages ago and never used it. bloomin passwords! yeah, hi chris, lookin forward to trying some of these
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Welcome Hull Fox,

I'll list a few whiskies that are not too peaty that would be a good starting point, not sure of prices though.

Aberlour 10 year old
Glenfiddich 12 year old
Aberfeldy 15 year
Bruichladdich
Dalwhinnie 12 year old
Glen Grant 10 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Glen Moray
Glenturret
Knockando
Longmorn 15 year old
Tullibardine 10 year old

Kwik Save use to do McClelland's cheap which is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, which is in turn owned by Suntory of Japan. The three McClelland's bottlings are, in fact, 5-year-old releases of the three Morrison Bowmore distilleries: Lowland (Auchentoshan), Highland (Glen Garioch), and Islay (Bowmore). Keep to the lowland and Highland. Usually about £12.99

Hope that's of some help, i know you've been overseeing us for a while so glad to have you posting.
:D

ill take em all, when can you deliver Twisted Evil

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longmorn and Aberfeldy you see quite often in a minature, definitely recommend people to try these as they like Ben Nevis have that middle ground taste i quite like, you know there whisky without being peaty but not too soft either. Razz
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see that johnny has recommened glenmorangie, good choice.
you could also try one of the glenmorangie wood finnishes such as port or sherry, these are good value and the port has a wonderfully smooth chocolate edge to it.
also the glenmorangie rum cask (available at sainsbury's) and has been matured in golden rum casks and has a hint of spice and vanilla.
i am sure that eventually you will find a style of malt you will like (i like the island malts, peaty, salty and medicinal) but each to his own and i drink lots of everything else.
good luck on your quest salute

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
glenmorangie rum cask (available at sainsbury's) and has been matured in golden rum casks and has a hint of spice and vanilla.

Woo hoo! I'm off to Sainsburys, I thought this stuff was hard to get hold off Razz
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendrix wrote:
talisker25 wrote:
glenmorangie rum cask (available at sainsbury's) and has been matured in golden rum casks and has a hint of spice and vanilla.

Woo hoo! I'm off to Sainsburys, I thought this stuff was hard to get hold off Razz

hi hendrix, it is quite hard as only sainsburys in the uk seems to stock it, i bought a couple of bottles today as it was on offer at 24.99, normally 29.99.......enjoy :D :D

Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendrix wrote:
talisker25 wrote:

You're not getting mixed up with Glenfiddich rum version:

GLENFIDDICH - Gran Reserva 21yo

Description:
A 21 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky from the Speyside region of the Scottish Highlands.

The taste of this Cuban rum-finished Glenfiddich is full and rich, initially with a toffee sweetness becoming more dry with spice notes and hints of sweet tobacco and leather.

At the Glenfiddich Distillery, casks of Cuban rum were decanted and 21 Year Old Glenfiddich filled into the same casks, to take on the unique character.

Producer: William Grant & Sons Ltd - www.williamgrant.com
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1520
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: