Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cask breather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Real Ale and Pubs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Cask breather Reply with quote

Quote:
Cask breather

When a cask has been tapped, the beer starts to come into contact with oxygen—and a beer in contact with oxygen has a limited life. The stronger the beer the longer it will survive, but for most ales with an ABV in the low 4% region, three days is typical. If the pub doesn't have a high turnover, or if a beer is not popular, such as dark milds, three days will not be enough to sell all the beer in the cask. A cask breather allows a small amount of CO2 to replace the oxygen in the cask. Not enough CO2 to enter the beer or push it up to the bar—that's "top pressure"—but just enough "blanket pressure" to keep the beer fresh tasting for longer. Just long enough, in fact, for the landlord to sell all the beer in the cask.

The use of cask breathers is considered "extraneous carbon dioxide", so CAMRA does not endorse this method.

Someone on another forum found this excerpt from wikipedia to explain why certain pubs are not recognised by CAMRA as they use cask breathers.
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about this before and CAMRAs stance, it seems very little to get upset over when it means they can sell real ale, hopefully to the end of the barrel.
Alex 56
Superior Blend
Superior Blend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In home brew you use a device similar when using the plastic barrels. I don;t see anything wrong with this as none of this enters the beer.
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remember the little Co2 device at the top to add a bit of pressure. For years I had the little canisters kicking around my garage Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Real Ale and Pubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: