Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HULL FC MUST BEWARE OF WIGAN TOMORROW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: HULL FC MUST BEWARE OF WIGAN TOMORROW Reply with quote

Shaun Briscoe believes Hull FC must beware of Wigan's growing momentum when they clash with the cherry and whites tomorrow.

Briscoe feels his former club are beginning to peak at just the right time, under the guidance of ex-St Helens coach Ian Millward.

And with the run of results they've recently put together, and more players scheduled to return from injury, the full-back feels they might just sneak in to the play-offs.

"Wigan have done well over the last two weeks," explained Briscoe.

"They have scored 40 points or more in their last two games against Salford and Widnes and they have more players coming back from injury.

"People had written them off earlier in the season when things weren't going well, but people forget just how bad they have been hit by injuries.

"They have been playing in a manner suggesting they have a point to prove - not just to themselves but the people who had written them off.

"They are building momentum at the right time.

"Last season we didn't take much momentum into the play-offs and we lost the first game.

"If we can win our remaining games, we'll take a lot of confidence into this year's play-offs."

Playing Wigan will always be special for Briscoe who grew up eating sleeping and breathing rugby league in his hometown.

It was always his dream to pull on the cherry and white shirt and his dream came true when he was handed his first team debut aged 19.

Briscoe's time at the JJB Stadium was called short due to salary cap restrictions, but their loss was Hull's gain.

"I got on all right at Wigan," added Briscoe. "They were a great bunch of people. Stuart Rapier gave me my debut and I had some great times there.

"The highlight of my time there was when we beat St Helens on Good Friday when nobody gave us a chance.

"My time at Wigan ended when initially they were going to loan me out to stay within the salary cap.

"Then they told me that due to salary cap, they were looking to transfer me to another club.

"I still had a year left to run on my contract and I told them I was prepared to stay and fight for my place.

"It was then that I spoke to John Kear and Shaun McRae, who persuaded me to come to Hull, and I haven't looked back since."

Despite the split, Briscoe remains friends with some of the current crop of Warriors including Stephen Wild and ex-Hull winger Brian Carney.

But there'll be no room for sentiment come kick-off tomorrow when both teams lock horns in the battle for two crucial points.

"I'm looking forward to the game. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

"I still have family living in Wigan and I get back there once, maybe twice a month to see my parents and my girlfriend's family.

"Since I moved, all but one of them switched their allegiances to Hull. My brother Glyn remains a Wigan fan. One way or another one of us will be happy come tomorrow teatime."

Wigan are showing signs of a late season revival with wins against Salford and Widnes, and Millward hopes to make it three wins on the bounce at the KC.

Last week against Widnes, the former St Helens coach threw eight under-20s into the fray and was impressed by the way they handled them.

But Briscoe - who has scored two tries in two games against the Warriors - is expecting one or two players to play after recovering from injuries.

"We expect Danny Orr and David Vaealiki to play and it promises to be a tough match.

"Wigan are playing good rugby at the moment and I think that's partly down to their coaches and partly due to the players that are returning to the squad.

"When they were losing heavily to Leeds and St Helens, they weren't playing with any confidence and that was evident in the scores.

"However, they are now playing a more attractive style of rugby that wasn't there two months ago.

"We could do with the points but we're expecting a tough game from them.

"They are fighting for a place in the play-offs and if they get the two points, that will give them plenty of confidence and perhaps kick start them into the play-offs."

The Mail www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/hullfc

Hull FC www.hullfc.com
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: HULL FC MUST BEWARE OF WIGAN TOMORROW Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:

Shaun Briscoe believes Hull FC must beware of Wigan's growing momentum when they clash with the cherry and whites tomorrow.

Briscoe feels his former club are beginning to peak at just the right time, under the guidance of ex-St Helens coach Ian Millward.

And with the run of results they've recently put together, and more players scheduled to return from injury, the full-back feels they might just sneak in to the play-offs.

"Wigan have done well over the last two weeks," explained Briscoe.

"They have scored 40 points or more in their last two games against Salford and Widnes and they have more players coming back from injury.

"People had written them off earlier in the season when things weren't going well, but people forget just how bad they have been hit by injuries.

"They have been playing in a manner suggesting they have a point to prove - not just to themselves but the people who had written them off.

"They are building momentum at the right time.

"Last season we didn't take much momentum into the play-offs and we lost the first game.

"If we can win our remaining games, we'll take a lot of confidence into this year's play-offs."

Playing Wigan will always be special for Briscoe who grew up eating sleeping and breathing rugby league in his hometown.

It was always his dream to pull on the cherry and white shirt and his dream came true when he was handed his first team debut aged 19.

Briscoe's time at the JJB Stadium was called short due to salary cap restrictions, but their loss was Hull's gain.

"I got on all right at Wigan," added Briscoe. "They were a great bunch of people. Stuart Rapier gave me my debut and I had some great times there.

"The highlight of my time there was when we beat St Helens on Good Friday when nobody gave us a chance.

"My time at Wigan ended when initially they were going to loan me out to stay within the salary cap.

"Then they told me that due to salary cap, they were looking to transfer me to another club.

"I still had a year left to run on my contract and I told them I was prepared to stay and fight for my place.

"It was then that I spoke to John Kear and Shaun McRae, who persuaded me to come to Hull, and I haven't looked back since."

Despite the split, Briscoe remains friends with some of the current crop of Warriors including Stephen Wild and ex-Hull winger Brian Carney.

But there'll be no room for sentiment come kick-off tomorrow when both teams lock horns in the battle for two crucial points.

"I'm looking forward to the game. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

"I still have family living in Wigan and I get back there once, maybe twice a month to see my parents and my girlfriend's family.

"Since I moved, all but one of them switched their allegiances to Hull. My brother Glyn remains a Wigan fan. One way or another one of us will be happy come tomorrow teatime."

Wigan are showing signs of a late season revival with wins against Salford and Widnes, and Millward hopes to make it three wins on the bounce at the KC.

Last week against Widnes, the former St Helens coach threw eight under-20s into the fray and was impressed by the way they handled them.

But Briscoe - who has scored two tries in two games against the Warriors - is expecting one or two players to play after recovering from injuries.

"We expect Danny Orr and David Vaealiki to play and it promises to be a tough match.

"Wigan are playing good rugby at the moment and I think that's partly down to their coaches and partly due to the players that are returning to the squad.

"When they were losing heavily to Leeds and St Helens, they weren't playing with any confidence and that was evident in the scores.

"However, they are now playing a more attractive style of rugby that wasn't there two months ago.

"We could do with the points but we're expecting a tough game from them.

"They are fighting for a place in the play-offs and if they get the two points, that will give them plenty of confidence and perhaps kick start them into the play-offs."

The Mail www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/hullfc

Hull FC www.hullfc.com

is this about that game they play with a funny shape thing the call a ball Question Question

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one :D

THURSDAY - 18th August 2005

Loose forward Paul Cooke will not be risked in Hull’s engage Super League match against Wigan as he prepares to make his return in the Powergen Challenge Cup final next week.

The 24-year-old playmaker has recovered from a freak eye injury sustained in Hull’s home defeat by London Broncos 11 days ago which threatened to leave him with permanent damage and force him out of the biggest match of his career next weekend.

Cooke said: “There is no more bleeding or fluid in the eye, so I will back to full training tomorrow and mentally preparing for Leeds.

“I’ll sit out this week as an extra precaution. But if the final was this Saturday I would probably play - and I’ll be raring to go after two weeks off.”

Stand-off Richard Horne will also sit out Sunday’s game with a minor elbow injury, which means 17-year-old Tommy Lee keeps his place after making an impressive debut in last week’s win over Leigh, but back row forward Chris Chester is back to push for a place in the Cup final squad.

“Chris is playing this week and, should he come through without any reaction, obviously he will be under consideration. We will be virtually at full strength,” added Kear.

Hull winger Richie Barnett (foot) misses out but utility man Peter Lupton is the club’s only long-term absentee with a shoulder injury.

Hull v Wigan, KC Stadium, Sunday August 21

Hull 18-man: Briscoe, Blacklock, Raynor, Dowes, Swain, McMenemy, Kearney, Tony, Thackray, Saxton, Chester, Higgins, Brough, McNicholas, G. Horne, Whiting, Lee, Wheeldon.

Wigan 18-man: Dallas, Carney, Vaealiki, Brown, Aspinwall, Coyle, Moran, Seu Seu, Newton, Hargreaves, Wild, Tomkins, Tickle, Allen, Beswick, Sculthorpe, Hansen, Orr.

Referee: K Kirkpatrick
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: REFEREE COST US SAYS KEAR Reply with quote

Hull Fc coach John Kear laid the blame for his side's 28-24 defeat by Wigan firmly at the feet of referee Karl Kirkpatrick.

Just six days before the Challenge Cup Final an under-strength Hull side almost pulled off a famous victory when they trailed 26-8 midway through the second half.

But Kear felt the game swung on decisions made by Kirkpatrick.

"I think we can feel hard done by on one or two decisions. I've looked at the incidents on video and there are some pretty ropy decisions. That's all I can say.

"We're pig sick, as a group of people."

Kear was clearly disappointed that the side he picked came so close to securing maximum points that would have taken them back to third place in the Super League.

As it stands Hull share fourth place with Warrington after they beat Widnes to send them down to National League One next season.

"We wanted to win," said Kear. "We picked a team that we thought could win and I think with a bit of fortune we could have done.

"We're disappointed as the league remains important to us."

With all 17 players coming through the Wigan game unscathed, Kear now faces a massive headache selection ahead of Saturday's showpiece final .

"I though one or two players really put their hands up today.

"The pleasing thing for me was the fact we didn't play soft.

"Wigan were physical with us and we were physical with them."

from: http://www.thisishull.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=136243&command=displayContent&sourceNode=136236&contentPK=13051678
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> General Chit Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: