Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended Reading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Recommended Reading Reply with quote

PEAT SMOKE AND SPIRIT

"With seven of the world's most admired malt whisky distilleries on its shores, Islay is Scotland's leading whisky island, award-winning drink writer Andrew Jefford traces the past cicissitudes and pesent achievements of each of these distilleries"

I managed to read this book last week when i was on holiday and what a fascinating book it is.

It is two books in one really, first it is is a history of the seven working distilleries on Islay with the odd mention of the lost distilleries. It also looks at the future plans for new expressions from these distileries which sound interesting to say the least.

Secondly it is a history of the island and its turbulant past.

My only critisism (and only a personal view) it that it has you jumping about a bit refering to future and past pages which can be confusing. This, however takes little away from an excellent book. ideal for those who like the Islay malts but perfect for any lover of malt whisky 9.5/10. Smile

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Reading Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
PEAT SMOKE AND SPIRIT

"With seven of the world's most admired malt whisky distilleries on its shores, Islay is Scotland's leading whisky island, award-winning drink writer Andrew Jefford traces the past cicissitudes and pesent achievements of each of these distilleries"

I managed to read this book last week when i was on holiday and what a fascinating book it is.

It is two books in one really, first it is is a history of the seven working distilleries on Islay with the odd mention of the lost distilleries. It also looks at the future plans for new expressions from these distileries which sound interesting to say the least.

My only critisism (and only a personal view) it that it has you jumping about a bit refering to future and past pages which can be confusing. This, however takes little away from an excellent book. ideal for those who like the Islay malts but perfect for any lover of malt whisky 9.5/10. Smile

Sounds intriguing. Have you got the Lost Distilleries book thats vey good, though quite sad, all those whiskies we'll never get to try, and some in fish barrels you'd never want to! Laughing
Geoff
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Reading Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
talisker25 wrote:
PEAT SMOKE AND SPIRIT

Sounds intriguing. Have you got the Lost Distilleries book thats vey good, though quite sad, all those whiskies we'll never get to try, and some in fish barrels you'd never want to! Laughing

Hi all, both books seem like stocking fillers, I know what I'll be asking Santa for this year, plus whisky Laughing
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the "The Island Whisky Trail: Scotland's Hebridean and West Coast Malt Whisky Distilleries" by Neil Wilson a try (originally "Scotch and Water") , good stuff about the Islay distilleries and it's got contributions from an old mate of mine about lost Islay distillleries (Graham Fraser from stirling , who contributed the Lost distilleries bit for my website ) . It also covers the other western isles distilleries as well as Oban .
A good read .
Slainté
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Geoff
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit of Islay wrote:
Give the "The Island Whisky Trail: Scotland's Hebridean and West Coast Malt Whisky Distilleries" by Neil Wilson a try (originally "Scotch and Water") , good stuff about the Islay distilleries and it's got contributions from an old mate of mine about lost Islay distillleries (Graham Fraser from stirling , who contributed the Lost distilleries bit for my website ) . It also covers the other western isles distilleries as well as Oban .
A good read .
Slainté
Gordon

Cheers Gordon, I think I'll need another bookshelf as well as a another whisky shelf at this rate Laughing
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit of Islay wrote:
A good read .
Slainté
Gordon

thank heavens my birthday is not far of, and then christmas Boo hoo! HO! HO! HO! Laughing

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit of Islay wrote:
A good read .
Slainté
Gordon

Wonderful book, £6 new and used on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903238498/202-2374230-2534260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> General Chit Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: