Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newcastle SMWS Tasting 18th November

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit of Islay
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Newcastle SMWS Tasting 18th November Reply with quote

Having gotten over the disappointment of the cancelling of the previous nights tasting and todays meal , we had a highly entertaining night at the Vermont Hotel . The whiskies on offer were a mixed bag , a tad disappointing in one way but we got a little surprise at the end .
First off we had a speysider , an Inchgower (18.22 , 20yo , 51.7%, 276 bottles , £58 ) , a gold colour this one was not very nice , it had a very strong Artifical note which i could not put my finger on . would have been the worst of the night if it wasn't for no.3 .

Second up was a Northern Highlander , aTeaninich ( 59.31 , 21yo , 56.6% , 252 bottles £57 ) , a bright gold in colour , the nose was of a light smoke and icing sugar sweetness .The taste was smoke and and citric (lime) , the finish was long and beautiful .

And now to number 3 , there was a quick count in the room for this one and i'm glad to say i was in the majority , it was horrible and it's possibly as far as i can remember the only whisky i've never finished at an SMWS tasting . In their notes they classed it as a Highland / Lowland , it was a Glengoyne ( 123.2 , 8yo , 56.7% , 317 bottles , £43 ) . The society had reracked this one for just over 2 years into a sherry butt , big mistake !
The nose wasn't too bad , Spicy and christmas cake but the taste , burnt rubber and sulpher , was disgusting and the finish horrible . Water improved it a bit but by then it was too late . Reminded me of the awful Jura we had once at a tasting but we finished that one.....

Next we went to Campbeltown , a Glen Scotia (93.17 , 13yo , 63.5% , 299 bottles , £40 ) , a pale gold in colour , the nose was peaty , salty and like walking along a seashore .the taste was warm , peaty and salty , it had a salty / maritime finish , it actually made me think of the societies croftengea bottlings for some reason .

Last up was an Islay , a Bowmore to be more precise (3.102 , 16yo , 56.7% , 303 bottles , £46) . Pale gold in colour , it was slightly smoky and floral on the nose , Lavender with smoke on the nose and long and floral on the finish . I've gone right off Bowmores of late , can't figure why they're really floral .

At the end of the night Stephen produced a couple of surprises , first up was a bottle of 33.56 (Ardbeg , 1998 , 6yo ) , a bottling that was released only for tastings and foreign markets (but we could order it so ......) . A nice dram . Then we got something else which i don't think i should mention here but it was very nice .

So another night over and the next one to look forward to (2 weeks time , Durham Castle ) .

Slainté
Gordon

And a dedicated Islay Forum !!!!
Black Beer
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the end of the night Stephen produced a couple of surprises , first up was a bottle of 33.56 (Ardbeg , 1998 , 6yo ) , a bottling that was released only for tastings and foreign markets (but we could order it so ......) . A nice dram . Then we got something else which i don't think i should mention here but it was very nice .

Intriging Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: