Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TALISKER (Isle of Skye)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Diablo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: TALISKER (Isle of Skye) Reply with quote

TALISKER (Isle of Skye)
10 year
45.8%
Nose: Leather, peat, glue w/w: leather, peat.
Body: Peaty, wet wood.
Finish: Peat, treacle.Strong, peaty, warming, proper peaty whisky.

TALISKER (Isle of Skye)
Distillers Edition 1986
Double Matured.
Much smoother than OB with a lot of salty sweetness, woody.

I was lucky enough a couple of years ago to get to the distillery. It was undergoing some refurbishment but I was able to get some good photos and get them to open the shop. Had to buy a minature OB to drink in the grounds, had to be done! Razz
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mcgees.org/malts/talisker10.html

Talisker 10 year old
Distillery bottling, 45.6% a.b.v.

I hold a special place in my heart for Talisker. Peaty, island-style aroma. On the palate, the mouthfeel is medium and silky with a tasty maltiness and a good kick of salt and pepper. As you hold it in your mouth, tasting it, the pepperiness increases and increases until it you cannot leave it in your mouth any longer. So you swallow, which will make the pepperiness go away, right? Wrong. The pepperiness in your mouth continues to escalate, getting hotter and hotter, mercifully stopping immediately before your head explodes. Talisker is truly fantastic: as a tasty malt, as a fascinating spirit, and as a sheer endorphin rush. Truly delicious, but far hotter than its (significant) 45.6% alcohol content would suggest. I love it.

Suggested for: Oh, I don't know! When you are freezing to death in the snow, when you are feeling vaguely masochistic, or when you get a sudden craving for it at 11 p.m.
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/talisker/whisky157.html

Michael Jackson

Nose
Wonderful aroma. Pungent, smoke-accented, rounded.
Palate
Full maltiness, slightly syrupy, with sourness and a very big pepperiness developing.
Finish
Very peppery, huge, long.
Comment
Always a classic, though I still miss the 8 year old.

Jim Murray

Nose
A razor-sharp spiciness lances through Demerara sweetness and rich peat. Absolutely magnificent.
Palate
The enormous build up of spice adds to the multi-layered peat. The sweetness is almost like freshly crushed grist. Wave upon wave, layer upon layer of complexity.
Finish
Massively warming and still spicy. The peat lingers while the spice bristles.
Comment
A dram to be savoured and celebrated
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have visited talisker distillery quite a few times was lucky enough a few years ago to be able to but 2 bottles of their 25yo cask strength.
The whisky blows you away, it is smokey, peaty ful of citrus flavours and goes down like honey and has a lovely sweet aftertaste. Highy recommended Cool[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Erik the Viking
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just making us jealous now! Laughing Welcome, now I wonder why you're called Talisker25??!! Very Happy

Dave Broom and Michael Jackson rated this whisky a 9 in the Whisky Magazine

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/talisker/whisky1308.html

Expression 1975, Aged 25 Years, Cask Strength
Abv 59.90%

Michael Jackson

Nose
Minerally. A hint of sulphur.
Palate
Quite rich. Nutty, with a suggestion of artichoke. A touch of salt, then a burst of freshly milled pepper.
Finish
Volcanic. Reverberating.
Comment
Less instantly explosive than the regular 10. The flavours in the 25 are more tightly combined and take longer to unfold. You pays your money...

Dave Broom

Nose
Robust with plenty of scented smoke (burning heather) balanced by soft Dundee cake/singed orange peel aromas
Palate
Full and ripe to start, plenty of mellow fruits (sultana, date, fig) then an explosion of dry smoke. A complex mouthful.
Finish
Long, complex, dry peppery heather root
Comment
The distillery character sings out. A muscular, smoky yet rounded malt. Superb
Mad Dog
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik,

I we online at the same time?

Welcome Talisker25, we have a new members bit where you can put a few words about yourself and whiskies you enjoy etc. The chaps on the site are very friendly, mostly!! Very Happy
Peat Smoke
Novice taster
Novice taster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
i have visited talisker distillery quite a few times was lucky enough a few years ago to be able to but 2 bottles of their 25yo cask strength.
The whisky blows you away, it is smokey, peaty ful of citrus flavours and goes down like honey and has a lovely sweet aftertaste. Highy recommended Cool[/b]

Fantastic whisky the 25 year old, only had the one but would definitly buy it again. Some say that Talisker and other peated whiskies have lost their bite as the distilleries try and market for new consumers. I think though that there is more choice now and a greater choice of peaty whislies than ever before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: