Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GLENFIDDICH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: GLENFIDDICH Reply with quote

the ultimate distillery visit attraction and free.
start with a video about the history of the grant family which lasts about 15 mins and is very good, then off on the tour, as i remember the distillery has 11/12 stills which are quite small which explains why the whisky is like it is, it is quite a large still room which also cantains the mash tunn, elsewhere, lots of washbacks made from american oak, and then on to the bottling plant, the only distillery in scotland to bottle its own malt and it is fascinating watching the automated lines. onto the warehouses and boy are their a lot. then off for a dram and a chance to ask questions. the shop is quite big and behind glass panels are the glenfiddich solara casks with the whisky maturing. the shop has a good range of items and whisky from other local distilleries like balvanie. if you are around this area and have only time for one visit, make it this one. just down the road, through dufftown is the speyside cooperage, never seen so many barrels, well worth a visit. Wink

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful distillery and we did Balvenie the sister distillery as well. The history of the Grant family was fascinating and i remember so many people on the tour getting confused with all the other whiskies and distilleries that bare the Grant name.
Mad Dog
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GLENFIDDICH Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
start with a video about the history of the grant family which lasts about 15 mins and is very good, then off on the tour, as i remember the distillery has 11/12 stills which are quite small which explains why the whisky is like it is, it is quite a large still room which also cantains the mash tunn, elsewhere, lots of washbacks made from american oak, and then on to the bottling plant, the only distillery in scotland to bottle its own malt and it is fascinating watching the automated lines. onto the warehouses and boy are their a lot. then off for a dram and a chance to ask questions. the shop is quite big and behind glass panels are the glenfiddich solara casks with the whisky maturing. the shop has a good range of items and whisky from other local distilleries like balvanie. if you are around this area and have only time for one visit, make it this one. just down the road, through dufftown is the speyside cooperage, never seen so many barrels, well worth a visit. Wink

I think you need to do a review of the Speyside Cooperage as well for those yet to travel that far north.
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GLENFIDDICH Reply with quote

start with a video about the history of the grant family which lasts about 15 mins and is very good, then off on the tour, as i remember the distillery has 11/12 stills which are quite small which explains why the whisky is like it is, it is quite a large still room which also cantains the mash tunn, elsewhere, lots of washbacks made from american oak, and then on to the bottling plant, the only distillery in scotland to bottle its own malt and it is fascinating watching the automated lines. onto the warehouses and boy are their a lot. then off for a dram and a chance to ask questions. the shop is quite big and behind glass panels are the glenfiddich solara casks with the whisky maturing. the shop has a good range of items and whisky from other local distilleries like balvanie. if you are around this area and have only time for one visit, make it this one. just down the road, through dufftown is the speyside cooperage, never seen so many barrels, well worth a visit. Wink[/quote]

I think you need to do a review of the Speyside Cooperage as well for those yet to travel that far north.[/quote]

their was a lot of wood...........is that ok Question Question Laughing

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wave
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the only distillery in scotland to bottle its own malt

Bruichladdich also bottles their own malt and I believe there's a 3rd distillery too.

On my last trip to Scotland I stayed in Dufftown for a couple of nights at the Tannochbrae Guesthouse. The distillery I really wanted to see was Mortlach, unfortunately at the time it was closed. Crying or Very sad The Glenfiddich distillery however was a welcomed suprise, I'm wasn't a big fan of Glenfiddich malt but the distillery and tour was very good and free to boot! I have since tried the Solera & Caoran Reserve and have developed a new interest for their whisky.

Wave~
Richard P.
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave wrote:
Quote:
the only distillery in scotland to bottle its own malt

Bruichladdich also bottles their own malt and I believe there's a 3rd distillery too.

On my last trip to Scotland I stayed in Dufftown for a couple of nights at the Tannochbrae Guesthouse. The distillery I really wanted to see was Mortlach, unfortunately at the time it was closed. Crying or Very sad The Glenfiddich distillery however was a welcomed suprise, I'm wasn't a big fan of Glenfiddich malt but the distillery and tour was very good and free to boot! I have since tried the Solera & Caoran Reserve and have developed a new interest for their whisky.

Wave~

I think alot of people were put off Glenfiddich when it had no age on the bottle but the new 12 year old has a much more rounded taste and I'm quite happy to sip a few glasses on an evening and great in a bar were it's usually the only malt. :D
Old Faithful
Aged Maltster
Aged Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenfiddich 18 yr old, is the business!! :D :D
Very dark in colour, with a dark chocolatey taste to it, very smooth, with an increadably long finish!!

It still amazes me what a few extra years in a cask can do to a whisky!! Get hold of a bottle of this if at all possible, but be carefull what you pay. I managed to get a bottle for £26, but I've see it on sale at various "reputable" whisky shops for as much as £48!!
Black Beer
Single Maltster
Single Maltster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Faithful wrote:
Very dark in colour, with a dark chocolatey taste to it, very smooth, with an increadably long finish!!

It still amazes me what a few extra years in a cask can do to a whisky!! Get hold of a bottle of this if at all possible, but be carefull what you pay. I managed to get a bottle for £26, but I've see it on sale at various "reputable" whisky shops for as much as £48!!

Quote:
Our master craftsmen have created a complex, mellow single malt Scotch whisky from years of patient maturation in casks of the finest Oloroso sherry and American bourbon. It is secreted away in our traditional warehouse, where the cool, thick stone walls and low ceilings mature the whisky to perfection. Years later what emerges is a Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve with an elegant nose, faintly sweet, scented with apple and wood. It is robust and full-bodied, yet remarkably soft, rounded and long lasting.

http://uk.glenfiddich.com/shop/prod_ancient_reserve_18.html

I think the difference is also that the whisky is matured in sherry and bourbon casks. A really lovely whisky that really does go well with dark chocolate or a dark beer at the end of an evening :D
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Beer wrote:
Old Faithful wrote:

Quote:
Our master craftsmen have created a complex, mellow single malt Scotch whisky from years of patient maturation in casks of the finest Oloroso sherry and American bourbon. It is secreted away in our traditional warehouse, where the cool, thick stone walls and low ceilings mature the whisky to perfection. Years later what emerges is a Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve with an elegant nose, faintly sweet, scented with apple and wood. It is robust and full-bodied, yet remarkably soft, rounded and long lasting.

http://uk.glenfiddich.com/shop/prod_ancient_reserve_18.html

I think the difference is also that the whisky is matured in sherry and bourbon casks. A really lovely whisky that really does go well with dark chocolate or a dark beer at the end of an evening :D

Like the new avatar Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Distilleries and Breweries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: