Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fake 'Malt' Whisky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fake 'Malt' Whisky Reply with quote

Collectors warned over fake Scotch

DRAM CHEEK!
By Euan Duguid

ITALIAN conmen are endangering the reputation of Scotland’s greatest export with batches of counterfeit whisky.
The fake single malts were produced in Italy during the mid-1990s, but purport to date as far back as the 19th Century.
The cunning network legally bought antique labels and bottles at auction but filled them with cheap whisky.
Rocked
The forgeries are so good that the industry was rocked after Speyside distillers Macallan discovered some old whiskies in their museum, bought in good faith between 2000 and 2002, were fake.
It emerged after tests that the spirit inside some of the bottles was as young as 10 years old.
Rare whiskies can now fetch tens of thousands of pounds a bottle and the discovery came as a warning that sophisticated fakes posed a problem, even for expert collectors.
But whisky forgeries —some thought to have originated from the same gang — are still found for sale on Internet auction sites today.
Fake
Just last month 20 bottles of fake whisky, aimed at collectors, were being sold by a German trader on eBay.
Not all forgers are meticulous and the website maltmadness.com lists scores of shoddy fakes that have been detected, including an Isle of Arran “bottled in 1982”.
Arran distillery didn’t open until 1995.
Whisky gurus are urging buyers to beware of imitations.
Richard Paterson, Master Blender for Whyte & Mackay, explained that substandard products do not easily fool connoisseurs, but stressed, “As far as I’m concerned the integrity of the label is sacrosanct.
Jungle juice

David Broom has been monitoring counterfeit whiskies for five years. The website www.maltmadness.com has a page dedicated to exposing fake malts. Here are just a few bogus bottles they have unearthed (from left) — “Glen Albyn 10-year-old”, the infamous “Arran 1982”, “Laphroaig 1991 Highgrove” and the “1954 Macallan”.

“Whisky must be of a high standard and I don’t put anything in my blends or single malts unless I’m fully satisfied.
“However, if the counterfeiters are putting any old jungle juice into bottles, that’s really going to erode the reputation of Scotch whisky.
“I would urge anyone who suspects a product to be faked to report it to the whisky producer so we can carry out a detailed analysis.”
David Broom, contributing editor to Whisky Magazine, began monitoring whisky forgeries around five years ago and was first to raise concerns regarding The Macallan collection.
He explained, “I was alerted to counterfeit whisky in the late 1990s after several distillers and retailers had been approached by individuals who offered some remarkable bottles of whisky which had never been seen before.
Traced
“Since then several fake whiskies, including the bottles bought by Macallan, have been traced back to Italy.
“There’s also evidence of rare bottle and label collections being bought by Italians.”
Mr Broom added, “Last year I identified 20 bottles being sold on eBay by a trader in Germany.
“When I pressed him to explain their origins he quickly removed them from sale.”
Emrys Inker, spokesman for Macallan, said, “Although we were first to have the validity of the whisky tested, we know other Scotch whisky brands had been affected by similar scams in the past.
“Prospective buyers of rare malt should authenticate the validity of the bottle and spirit and also confirm the credentials of the people selling.”
David Williamson of the Scotch Whisky Association explained, “We have a network of lawyers around the world working to protect Scotch whisky and consumers from such activities.
“Distillers also go to considerable lengths to protect their brands.
“Suspect samples are, for example, routinely analysed and illegitimate traders are prosecuted.”

http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/mags/post/news4.htm

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Old Faithful
Aged Maltster
Aged Maltster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Talisker, that's an interesting article. It just goes to show, you can't always go by the label on a bottle!! It's a sad world we live in now where nothing escapes the clutches of an evil minority, who see that their purpose in life is to prey & get rich on the good nature of people!
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Faithful wrote:
Thanks Talisker, that's an interesting article. It just goes to show, you can't always go by the label on a bottle!! It's a sad world we live in now where nothing escapes the clutches of an evil minority, who see that their purpose in life is to prey & get rich on the good nature of people!

True, does anyone want a bottle of whisky once owned by Robert Burns, genuine, I promise Laughing
talisker25
Keeper of the Quaich
Keeper of the Quaich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Old Faithful wrote:

True, does anyone want a bottle of whisky once owned by Robert Burns, genuine, I promise Laughing

was that the one previously owned by Bonnie Prince Charlie, if so, yes i will have it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The trouble with jogging is that ice falls out of your glass

http://talikerstantrums.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talisker25 wrote:
Johnny wrote:
Old Faithful wrote:

was that the one previously owned by Bonnie Prince Charlie, if so, yes i will have it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sold Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: