Let The Drink Talk Forum Index Let The Drink Talk
https://twitter.com/LetTheDrinkTalk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poltergeist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Poltergeist Reply with quote

Directed by Tobe Hooper of Texas Chain Saw Masacre fame.

Writing credits Steven Spielberg (story) Steven Spielberg (screenplay) &
Michael Grais (screenplay) & Mark Victor (screenplay).

Clowns are just scary, fullstop. Shocked Shocked

Still a great film for an evening of entertainment, and I always make sure if my buying a house to make sure it's not on ancient indian burial ground Neutral
Fernando77
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite character is from the second film... the preacher who sings "God is in His holy temple...".
These films are plenty of dark stories...
The young actress who plays the role of Carol Anne's sister was raped and killed by his boyfriend just inmediatly after the first film.
Carol Anne died after the three films.
I believe that the indian from part 2 died too, but I don't remember it very well.
There is a good web with info about it, The Henry Kane Web Site: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/8476/
The next info was found there...
Quote:
So, you have heard the rumours..are the movies cursed? Below is some information that will help you decide..I have compiled a list of people who are still alive and some who are dead..If you find any errors on this page, let me know!

On Monday, February 1, 1988, Heather O'Rourke(Carol Anne), who lived with her parents both in San Diego and Big Bear, complained of stomach pains. She was rushed to Children's Hospital of San Diego. During surgery she died of cardiac and pulmonary arrest. It was identified that she had been suffering from a severe bowel obstruction, a result of a congenitial birth defect. The obstruction led to an infection, which in turn caused septic shock. The shock triggered her death.
She was buried in Los Angeles' Westwood Memorial Park in a vault on the first outdoor mausoleum wall. Poltergiest III was released four months after her death and was a box-office bust. Heather was the second Poltergiest star to die. In 1982, 22-year old Dominique Dunne, who played her older sister in that movie, was strangled to death by her estranged boyfriend.

Henry Kane(Julian Beck) died of stomach cancer during the filming of Poltergeist II: The Other side

The new Henry Kane (Nathan Davis) was rumored to have died during an operation in 1997. But...It appears that rumor is false. If you check out the Biography of Nathan Davis on www.imdb.com, it says he's still making movies. I don't know of too many dead people who are still acting...

Taylor is also dead.

The rumor that Robbie Freeling is dead is incorrect. In the late 90s he released an independent movie titled "DUMPED". For more information, Click Here!

The following article was taken from the following page: http://www.celebsite.com/askmrshowbiz/archive/10_6_1998.html. It says:

Dear Mr. Showbiz,

I know that the little girl who played Carol Anne in the Poltergeist movies died after filming Poltergeist III. I was just wondering how she died, and what your thoughts are on the "Poltergeist curse." sskennedy

Dear sskennedy,
Heather O'Rourke, who was discovered in true Hollywood fashion by Poltergeist writer-producer Steven Spielberg one day while she was dining with her sister Tammy at the MGM commissary, gave an unforgettably spooky performance in the scarifying, special-effects-laden 1982 ghost story, playing Carol Anne Freeling, the angelic little 5-year-old blonde who is quite literally spirited away from her parent's suburban home by angry supernatural beings who commune with her through the TV. The film spawned two ill-advised sequels ("They're baa-ack") starring O'Rourke, the latter of which was released the summer after the 12-year-old ingenue's untimely demise.

Here follow the facts of what happened to Heather, ss: On Feb. 1, 1988, she developed what seemed to be flu-related cramps, which rapidly became severe enough that she was rushed from her home in Lakeside, Calif., to the hospital. There, it was determined that the young actress was in septic shock and full cardiac and pulmonary arrest. An hour later, O'Rourke was airlifted in critical condition to Children's Hospital in San Diego, where she was operated on for intestinal stenosis, an acute congenital bowel obstruction her parents had known nothing about. She died on the operating table.

The part of this extraordinarily sorrowful story that gives us a particular frisson is that the behind-the-scenes tragedy of O'Rourke's passing was not the first calamity to befall a Poltergeist cast member. Dominique Dunne (daughter of writer-producer Dominick Dunne and sister of actor-director Griffin Dunne), who played the older daughter Dana in the first film, was strangled to death by an obsessed boyfriend in October 1982, after she tried to break off the relationship with him. She was 22. Will Sampson, who appeared as a Native American shaman in Poltergeist II, died of complications from heart surgery in 1987; and Julian Beck, who portrayed to skin-crawling effect the malevolent spectral entity who menaces Carol Anne in the same installment of the series, died of stomach cancer during filming.

Apart from such extreme manifestations of tragedy, the shoots for the Poltergeist series were reportedly plagued by a raft of vexing, to occasionally frightening, disturbances, which the cast and crew were hard-pressed to explain without resorting to parapsychological justifications. On the more benign side of the ghostly shenanigans, JoBeth Williams (who played Carol Anne's mom) became accustomed to returning home to her apartment from long days of shooting to discover that all the pictures hanging on the walls had mysteriously been knocked askew. During filming on the second movie, accidents and interruptions had virtually stalled production until Sampson, a shaman in real-life, conducted an exorcism ritual that miraculously purged the set of bad energy. Co-star Craig T. Nelson (Carol Anne's father in the first two movies) explained after shooting wrapped on II: "I am convinced that the presence of Will Sampson on this film saved us from tragedy. Sampson not only plays a shaman, he is himself a shaman, and I believe that it cost him dearly in terms of his own personal health to see us safely through." How eerily those words ring in light of what happened to Sampson not much later.

So, ss, you ask what we think about the so-called "Poltergeist curse." Well, much like the equally dreaded and inexplicable "Superman curse" you may have heard tell of, we try not to lend too terribly much weight to that kind of superstitious mumbo-jumbo. But, creepy coincidences like these do give a person pause… Let's just say your question prompted us to track down our long-misplaced lucky rabbit's foot.

Mr. Showbiz

Geraldine Fitzgerald who played Grandma Jess in II is also dead. Anyone know how?

Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent information, not so good for the actors concerned, that Spielberg he must be cursed, I wonder what he does for a living now Exclamation Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Fernando77
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Excellent information, not so good for the actors concerned, that Spielberg he must be cursed, I wonder what he does for a living now Exclamation Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cursed to obtain millions of $ from each movie produced... what a disgusting curse... Laughing
Johnny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fernando77 wrote:
Johnny wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cursed to obtain millions of $ from each movie produced... what a disgusting curse... Laughing

I his curse, I want the curse Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Let The Drink Talk Forum Index -> Film All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: